VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Passat with oil smell in the cabin which I traced to the right rear cam tensioner seal. My mechanic has quoted 12 hours to remove the cam, water pump, timing belt etc,,, to replace the $9.00 gasket and seal.
As long as I want oil consumption, are there any long term problems related to loss of oil pressure etc... if I pass on the repair? Car has 145K and is in top condition.
How difficult is this repair including the camshaft removal for a DIY with full tools and a Bentley manual except for any VW specific tools?
Thanks,
Love my car, hate the smell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (sheimbach)

Bentley or VW Service manual a good source for the steps?
Thanks for you help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (540fan)

I was all set to do this job on my '99 when I read a post somewhere that suggested replacing the PCV valve/breather hose which I did. Voila, no more oil smell. A year later the smell returned so I took the PCV/breather off and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner. Voila, no more oil smell. I've gone several years since with no further trouble. Definitely try this first. I think I paid ~$75 for the valve/hose, which is all one piece, from ECS tuning. HTH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (tschlaef)

Quote, originally posted by tschlaef »
I was all set to do this job on my '99 when I read a post somewhere that suggested replacing the PCV valve/breather hose which I did. Voila, no more oil smell. A year later the smell returned so I took the PCV/breather off and cleaned it with carburetor cleaner. Voila, no more oil smell. I've gone several years since with no further trouble. Definitely try this first. I think I paid ~$75 for the valve/hose, which is all one piece, from ECS tuning. HTH.

I can see the oil running out from around the rear cam tensioner seal so I think I'm in for the big job...
Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 540fan »

I can see the oil running out from around the rear cam tensioner seal so I think I'm in for the big job...
Thanks!

I could see mine leaking too, but changing the PCV seemed to reduce internal engine pressures enough to stop the leak. Actually, it still leaks a little, but not enough to cause the oil smell.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks, I wll go there first and change the PVC valve and see what happens. I've got too much in the car to let start burning off oil. It's pretty much reconditioned and drives and handles better than when it was new.
I suppose if one had to replace the seals at 140K, a new water pump, timing belt (only 30K on it) and a belt tensioner would be good preventative work... Any other things to consider?
Thanks again, we got to keep these cars running...
Dan

·
Registered
66 Posts

I have the same issue, and I just dropped the $$ for a timing belt, so no cam tensioner seal job any time soon.
Is there a DIY for the PCV Breather/hose? I think German Auto Parts has them.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (jay-dj)

Quote, originally posted by jay-dj »
I have the same issue, and I just dropped the $$ for a timing belt, so no cam tensioner seal job any time soon.

That stinks because replacing those seals with the TB off is a piece of cake and very little parts/labor cost.
OP, when was the last time your TB was replaced? It should be done every 70k so if you're due, don't procrastinate and do the cam seals/plugs and tensioner seals while you're in there.
I recommend having the paper bentley on hand as well as the print outs of the various online DIYs. Also, if you order from blauparts you can rent the tools from them as well ($35) and they will include a pretty nice DIY guide.
If you are a DIYer but nervous about this job, don't be! It's only time consuming, not difficult. Go for it, save yourself $700 http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by justinperkins at 10:55 PM 3-2-2009

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (jay-dj)

Quote, originally posted by jay-dj »
Is there a DIY for the PCV Breather/hose? I think German Auto Parts has them.

I don't know about a write-up for this. It helps to have the new part in hand so you can see exactly what has to be disconnected. It seemed a little daunting at first because of several connection points at the rear of the engine where things are very cramped, but a little perseverance paid off. A heads up though, when I did mine the old part broke into several pieces when I was removing it, so if your car is more than a few years old I recommend having the new part in hand before removing the old one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

OK, I did some more homework and found this on some earlier posts from last year. It took a while to do some searching. I'm going for the Suction Jet Pump # 058 133 753B and Check valve 078 905 291B
See this link: http://www.tobio.info/passat/h....html
Thanks for all your help and comments.

·
Registered
12,107 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tschlaef »

Yup...Audi/VW issued a tech bulletin stating that they would NOT honor warranty claim for gasket/seal replcement until PCV was first put in "proper opperating condition"....the V6 has 3 piece system..large hose that snakes all across the top of engine to right valve cover and contains an oil separator and 3 other connections, small hose that connects to big one and runs to crankcase breather on back of motor under throttle body, and something called the "suction pump"..wye shaped plastic piece that controls vaccum in the sytem..all 3 parts cost me about $125 a few years back..took about 2+ hours to install..but I cleaned throttle body (you have to unmount it to get at the little hose connectors) and replaced all the little cloth covered vaccum hoses (you have to remove the vaccum servo board to get at the suction pump)...so I did more than just replace the PCV system during the afternoon.....It stopped my oil seepin from the cam adjuster gasket/seal areas for about 2 yrs..then valve cover gasket really started leakin..took car in for Powertrain Warranty claim since I knew I wouldn't get soaked to replace PCV parts first...dealer replaced valve cover put dye in engine..on inspection they found leaking cam seals and also replaced both cam adjusters since I complained about them rattlin on cold start up....about $2500-3000 (cam adusters alone are $650 each) for free..thank you Power Train Warranty!

PS: Check Passat World for DIY info!

Modified by spitpilot at 9:10 AM 3-3-2009

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Part Number Correction:
The Suction Jet Pump is now part number 058 133 753 D and it cost me $40.00 from Carolina VW in Charlotte. List is $50.00
Tonight I change it out...

·
Registered
509 Posts

changed out my suction jet pump and it stopped the oil from leaking on my drivers side, off the oil filter. I still have the terrible oil smell in my cabin everytime I stop at a light. I guess that I should replace the PVC system first and then if that doesnt work have a mechanic replace the CT gasket and VC gasket. I have not knowing what work has been done on my car before.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (imcuconn)

Quote, originally posted by imcuconn »
I still have the terrible oil smell in my cabin everytime I stop at a light.

It's not an immediate change, you still have a lot of leftover oil to burn off. Might take a 100 or so miles of driving depending on how long it has been leaking, how much, etc..., drive a long distance to get the engine nice and hot to burn that junk off.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (justinperkins)

Quote, originally posted by justinperkins »

It's not an immediate change, you still have a lot of leftover oil to burn off. Might take a 100 or so miles of driving depending on how long it has been leaking, how much, etc..., drive a long distance to get the engine nice and hot to burn that junk off.

Good point! When I changed mine out it took almost a week for the smell to subside. Initially I thought the repair was a failure, then my wife actually noticed the lack of smell. My apologies to all, I think my original post was a little misleading in this regard.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 540fan »
I have a 99 Passat with oil smell in the cabin which I traced to the right rear cam tensioner seal. My mechanic has quoted 12 hours to remove the cam, water pump, timing belt etc,,, to replace the $9.00 gasket and seal.
As long as I want oil consumption, are there any long term problems related to loss of oil pressure etc... if I pass on the repair? Car has 145K and is in top condition.
How difficult is this repair including the camshaft removal for a DIY with full tools and a Bentley manual except for any VW specific tools?
Thanks,
Love my car, hate the smell.

why pull the cams out to do the cam tensioner seal?? you can do the cam tensioner seal and half moon gasket without taking the cams out. only takes about 45 mins but ive done over 50 of em.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Cam Tensioner Seal Oil Leak (dankvdubber6407)

Quote, originally posted by dankvdubber6407 »

why pull the cams out to do the cam tensioner seal?? you can do the cam tensioner seal and half moon gasket without taking the cams out. only takes about 45 mins but ive done over 50 of em.

You could make some money around Charlotte, NC because the local independents were saying the cams have to come out. I check my VW repair manual and couldn't fine a work around. How do you do it?
I did replace the suction jet pump and that seems to cure the oil smell but I do see some oil around the rear passenger side cam tensioner. I would like to go ahead and take care of it but didn't want to start taking the whole thing apart to do it. I don't need a new timing belt, water pump etc... so a work around would be great. I have 145K on this 99 and I"m going for 300K before I'll let it die. I love the original B5 body with its lack of chrome etc... lower it a bit and put seventeens and you have a sharp little driver.
Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts