VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped this motor into my 90 golf. So not sure how well it ran before. I lined up my TDC, the lower pulley is lined up vertically, my distributor is pointing at the spark plug directly in front of it and the rotor is right on the mark. The cam sprocket looks to off one tooth. The dot is one tooth higher than the valve cover measuring spot. How do i fix this?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Re: Cam Timing issue.... (86crapper)

first pull the plug on the tranny and check that mark, if thats on and hte cam still looks a tooth off, then rotate the cam mark on, loosen the t belt tensioner and take the belt off the cam pulley move the crank to its position put the belt back on and tighten the tensioner.
the reason i rotate the cam to its spot rather than the crank is because its easier to turn the crank than the cam, if the cams on then all you have to turn is the crank.
if this is 8v then the intermediate shaft pulley should be moved to its mark cause it drives the dist.
if this is 16v then the exhaust cam drives the dist and you can loosen the 10mm bolts and rotate the body to put it back on time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tranny is lined up on the TDC dimple. Once i line up the cam and loosen the tensioner, how do i keep the intermediate pulley and the crank from going out of time? Should i just take the belt off with one hand and hold the intermediate in place with other hand? I saw in the book that the groove in the crank and the intermediate pulley dot have to be line up as well. Will it matter if the intermediate is out one notch? Seems like a job where 3 hands are needed... i just don't want to tear it apart and mess something else up...

Modified by 86crapper at 4:59 AM 2-14-2010

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Re: (86crapper)

so sounds like you have an 8v then?
all the pulleys have marks to line up. its not like when you take the belt off all the pulleys are going to flip out and start turning all over the place.
so like i said, put the cam on, take off the belt from the cam, rotate the crank to its spot, it will stay where you put it. turn the intermediate shaft pulley to its mark, it will turn very easy by hand, and it should stay where you put it. then put the belt on and re tension the tensioner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.