VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a$$ on a platter. I was right behind him on an entrance ramp and he was with a friend, definitely looking to show off. He gunned it, I gunned it. He pulled (slower than I figured) away the whole way until I hit about 120, then I slowed down. We stopped farther down the highway at a light, looked at each other. I smiled.and when it turned green he gunned it again. I have 31K on a stock clutch, so I didn't bother. Plus he was a snotnosed punk with his hat on sideways...let him get the ticket.
Definitely puts my car's power in perspective. Of course, 5.7L 8 cylinders with 325 crank hp and RWD SHOULD be able to spank me.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (dbrowne1)

quote:[HR][/HR]Definitely puts my car's power in perspective. Of course, 5.7L 8 cylinders with 325 crank hp and RWD SHOULD be able to spank me.[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif Nicely put.

·
Registered
4,884 Posts

I got my rear end handed to me by one too...
same situation... he pulled me by about a car length to 120 tho. We raced 3 times, first was from 20 or so, second was from 60 and the third was from 70... All I did was hold up four fingers to indicate that he was racing a 4 cylinder and that he should be embarrased to only pull me by the little amount he did. He gave me the thumbs down

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (DaBlackJetta)

Yeah, I looked up the specs. The SS is a little heavier than my car and he had a passenger. He also has 3.17 times the displacement. I'm not going to race a RWD sports car off the line without a new clutch and a Quaife...he took of REAL quick at the light, and one spanking was enough for me.

·
Registered
24,078 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (DaBlackJetta)

There is a DSM shop in my parents town, about 20 minutes from me, that specializes in FWD DSMs only, what the heck is the point of that????
Anyway, I was in my old jetta one day going from my parents old house/my house to my dorm ( right by my parents new house) and this guy in a talon pulls up next to me and rips off, FWD turbo talon on Nitrous, me in my 86 jetta GL with a TT exhaust. I was doing like 80 already, kind of maxed out in that car, and he floors it and taks off. He gets caught behind a car and I pass him, so when he gets he pulls up next to me again and then takes off. He proceedes to do this 2 more times. Then he really gets stuck in traffic and I am now just pumping along at a whopping 90 mph or so ( note I blew the rings in this motor on a trip where I averaged about a 100 for 20 minutes) when I go to pass him he gives me the thumbs down.
A few months later my friend was driving his girls car a stock non turbo lazer with her in the passenger seat. The same car pulls up next to him at a light and starts reving his engine. Clearly any DSM person would know that this is just a POS and whats teh point. So they end up at traffic lights together for a few cycles and every time the same thing, rev rev rev from this jackarse. At the final light the kid peels out and as he pulls away he does the tumbs down thing. my friend later meets up with this kid in his 2L golf sport and still loses obviously but same thing thumbs down.

We then one day were out drivign around in my friends Z kitted VR6 jetta. We come across the owner of teh shop, he can be recognized by his football team MC hammer style pants has them on all the time. We are just passing each otehr in oppsite directions, thumbs down again.
Now I would never feel that I am so much superior then another car that I would give it a tumbs down. And you have all these V8 guys who do it all the time. And every customer of one DSM shop doing it to every VW and even base model DSM they come across.

And good god the only reason to buy a talon is that it is AWD, Turbo, and cheap as hell to make go REAL fast.
chris
[email protected]

·
Registered
51 Posts

I sold my Camaro SS for the Jetta. To clarify the SS has approx 295-310 RWHP depending on the year of the car. (1998-2000 = 295-300, 2001-2001 = 300-310) Anyway, I will try to race any Camaro from a stop light, especially if it is a kid. Most think it is cool to rev and spin!! I know from driving the car that spinning is real easy to do and if you spin you lose. I agree that the SS will hand most VW's their collective Arse's, but most people didn't buy their VW's to go low 13 - high 12 sec off the showroom floor!!
SCott

·
Registered
284 Posts
Should make you feel better....

Hiya,
Tough cars to beat!
However, not all 5.7Ls are up to the 1.8T. I'm on the local turnpike, look in my rearview before passing a truck, couple cars about 20 lenghts back (didn't look long enough to ascertain speed), throw on the turn signal to pass (I'm going 70-72). Next thing I know I see brights in the rearview. Red Corvette. So I put back in the right lane after passing the truck and the Corvette pulls up next to me and gives me the one finger salute. Now, I have been trying to slow down and not let things get the better of me, but for some reason, it wasn't the day for that. I noticed the body panels were a little faded, and after he gunned it and started pulling ahead I looked at the tailpipes. Now my family had an 85 Corvette, so I knew the difference between the 84-85 and 86 models as far as hp and tail arrangement (84s had 170hp with pipes that turned downward, 85s had 200hp with pipes that were straight back, 86s had ?hp but the 3rd brake light).
His was the 84 (170hp). Corvette right around 3100 in those days. My A4, APR chip and K&N only. 200hp at 3200lbs.
So I go for it. I downshift, start cutting the distance. Then was door-to-door. I returned the salute and started pulling car length after car length. I slow down, he passes and tries to pull ahead, same result. With my sunroof cracked I could hear his motor at the limit. I'm still pulling on him. Three more contests and I decided I didn't need a ticket, I won, and he was an idiot for trying again and again. So I pulled off the next exit, waited about 5 min, then back on the freeway.
I don't condone street racing, but am guilty of it. Far less often than I used to. Too bad I can't invite these idiots to the track.

Haven't done that in 6 months, though!
Take care,
Michael

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (wolfsburg_de)

I'd have given him a thumbup, but he was a snotnosed 17 yearold, and let's be honest...it's not like he needed to TRY to spank me with Daddy's $32,000 musclecar.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (ExSHO)

Well, if your in Orlando and come across my buddy Tom's SS, BEWARE! He's packing a set of twins, Garret that is. He works for Incon, the same company that supplies the turbo kits for the fox body (Mustang), F body and Lingenfelter's Twin Turbo Covette. The car is insane and puts down 420rwhp without any tuning through the stock computer. Jamie (BlackGTiTurbo) and I got to sample the car today... Makes me want the F body

[Modified by MacedoMotorsports, 5:21 PM 12-7-2001]

·
Registered
362 Posts

Actually you can get a cheap Z28 which is as fast as an SS (doesn't really dyno that much more WHP that I've ever seen). Also, these engines stock come mean and if they do NA upgrades or serious head/cam/turbo/NOS upgrades then it's a mess. You have to compare apples to apples. Not Modded GTi's vs. stock LS1's. If you want to go price performance well then that's your choice but again, the LS1 for the cost is a steal too.

·
Registered
432 Posts

I hardly think any of you got your asses handed to you.....looks like you lost very respectfully (meaning not by all that much) given the engine/HP differences. At the end of the day they still drive American Dinosaurs.
Now the other day, I got spanked like a 5 yr old caught stealing money from his mom's purse!
I was leaving the theatre and when I was approaching the first light before the freeway, I noticed a Jag sitting there. I didn't think much of it but I noticed it had very large wheels. Then I looked at the badge on the back and it said XKR (XJR?) - 4 door anyway. Nice car...when the light went green I sort of got on it....then I heard what sounded like Godzilla growling! That thing took off so hard I couldn't believe it. Dang! I floored it before he completely passed me but it was no use....he was GONE. By 60 he had 5 lengths at least. Of course, I had backed off after part way through 2nd...but I had no idea a large sedan could move like that.
Anyway, about Ford and Chevy. They make powerful motors, but the *car* part of the car is GARBAGE. Complete crap. Anyone can strap a hotrod motor to a plasticky piece of turd, but it takes brains to make an all around good package.....other than the Z06 and Viper....Americans haven't even come close.

[Modified by QkShift, 5:55 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (Blade)

Well, yeah that was probably it. Since it was a streetlight run, 5.5 0-60 vs my 6.5+ would be a big difference. I wouldb believe it could get to 60 faster than that given what I saw. Even if not faster than SS, it seemed to be.....
it was XJR. Here is a quote from Jag Website:
The XJR sedan boasts a supercharged version of the acclaimed AJ-V8 engine. It generates an awesome 370 horsepower, moving the XJR from 0 to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds. Superb handling and refinement are enhanced by an electronic 5-speed automatic transmission with normal and sport modes, a uniquely calibrated, racing-inspired suspension, and low-profile 18-inch tires.

[Modified by QkShift, 6:10 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
25,383 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (QkShift)

I got beat by a late 80's/early 90's Mustang LX 5.0 yesterday. I took him at the light, though he didn't know we were racing until about half-way through first, then he got on it. I grabbed 2nd and stayed ahead and he couldn't get around me.
Then onto the on-ramp. I was doing ~70 in 4th, when he finally made his move from behind. He was pulling along side a swift pace and I mashed the throttle in 4th...he was still pulling, so I grabbed 3rd and gained a little ground but I wound it out too far in 3rd before grabbing 4th and slowly gaining. By about 110-115 or so, he had a car length on me and I saw a cop up ahead, going the same direction as us, so I backed off. He kept at it, but eventually saw the cop and slowed down.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (16vracer)

I had a built 383 LTI SS have to sqeeze a 180 shot on me to pull me by a car from 45-100...

You guys would love having this car for just a day... I still haven't gotton over it.
Just this past saturday, I turned behind a kid in a LS1 Z28 with SS wheels. Everytime I see a kid in a F-body, I just can't help but hassle them
So the kid makes a u-turn, then waits for me to line up with him. He even gives the 3 horn start. So, I just walked him pretty good. It was funny. I was on 93 octane, too, low boost, about 17psi. Well, he still wants more. Line up again, going pretty slow, so slow, that he shifts into 1st... I just leave it in second, about 3000 rpm. 3 honks and we're off. He gets into it, and I floor it, still building boost. we are dead even till I make the 2-3 shift, then later
He was cool about it, though. You would be surprised, the reactions I get. I guess most of the guys are so dumbfounded, that a Golf just put 5+ cars on them, that they can't help but be impressed.
There was one guy, in a purple LT1 Trans Am... he was a big fat guy, with the old school ugly oakleys on(baseball coach style). I was next to himm at a light, and started messing with him. He didn't look at me, but just muttered " stupid mother f*cker" to himself, and just rolled off the light. i guess I harrased him enough that he decided he was gonna give me what's what. Well, he lost
Then, out of nowhere, he rolls down his window and says "let's go to the freeway" I was like "Uh... okay" I think he thought I was on the bottle. He was pissed. Wouldn't even look at me, it was funny.
As for thumbs down, I haven't done it, but the fast DSM guys here say they do it to a domestic guy that won't race them, gets them every time.

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Re: Camaro SS handed me my... (1.BillyT)

hey billy, just curious, what kind of times would you run if you weren't running slicks? i.e., how does your 12.3 convert to street racing performance? just wondering how much no slicks hurts you.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts