VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of picking up a TTS, and want to retain MagRide, but -1.5° front camber is not near enough for me. I couldn't find any, but does anyone know of a camber plate option that will fit the MagRide dampers?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Integrated engineering

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already have a set, but IE said that they do not fit the MagRide dampers. If I already owned the TTS, I could pull the damper and see if I can machine something to adapt the plates, but I don't have any solid info on the dimensions of the MagRide struts...

·
Registered
385 Posts
They work, I have been running them with MSS front adjustable springs, although I wouldn't recommend the MSS front kit. With the stock springs and the IE plates, you will be fine. I ran stock springs and IE plates on the TTRS for a summer of track and autox without any problems.

Two other things to note: 1) The magride dampers will leak and they are expensive, around $1000 a piece. I've been lucky that mine have been replaced under warranty. It wasn't just one leaking, both rears were covered in oil and the fronts were replaced before that.
2) With that in mind, I'd look at getting a set of coilovers before you sink money into an overpriced spring kit or plates, since many coilovers come with plates. You will need to pick up a set of KW magride delete modules though.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the confirmation of fitment! I'll have to let IE know that they actually do work, since they informed me otherwise. I have a custom Ohlins setup - which is superb - with the IE plates on the A3, but I want to try the MagRide out before I consider swapping it over.

Why do you not recommend the MSS front kit? Rear kit okay? I would most likely at least swap the springs on the MagRide, but I won't be using anything but linear springs, so that rules out MSS for me anyway.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cool, sounds like you have a good handle on it. I'm not sure, but I and the few other early adopters may be the reason why IE doesn't list those plates for magride any more. The IE plates are shorter than the stock top mounts. Without going into it too far, most of my year long suspension problems were MSS (non-adjustable) front spring related with the IE plates. The stock springs and IE plates were fine, but the MSS springs with IE plates were too soft and short. Then I bought the MSS adjustable fronts to fix the problem. They have a huge aluminum adjuster paired with a spring that probably has no more than a 2" usable stroke. So instead of getting error codes from the dampers going out of range, now you get a lovely bang when the coil bottoms out. They now call these "track" only front springs and don't recommend them for street use. Why I spent nearly $2000 on a spring kit has me questioning my sanity.

Note: If you are getting suspension codes, don't mess with the height sensors, that isn't the problem. The code is from the damper resistance measurements going out of range and you can only fix that by limiting the stroke, using a higher spring rate, or taller spring. I spent way too long trying to get the MSS kit to work with IE plates, it really wasn't worth it, and required way too much of my time with a VAGCOM researching the damper issues.

I think you are on the right track, I would do the same and try a couple linear springs instead, if I were going to stay with magride. Leave the front springs OEM with IE plates and just play with higher spring rates in the rear. I haven't measured the length/ID of the rear springs, but you could probably find some good linear springs from Swift to play with. You also will want to do rear bushings or at least the trailing arm bushing to stop toe deflection changes. The rear end is vague as hell at turn in otherwise. Change that bushing first before throwing more sway bar or spring at the car so your testing is more consistent.

·
Registered
50 Posts
IE plates

IE plates do Not work on factory mag ride cars.

You will pull codes and lose the ability to defeat traction control.

Listen to IE, they know.Unfortunately, there is no mag ride, camber plate option for standard suspension at the moment.W

Stay away from Ground Control as well they may tell you their's work but they don't . In fact, they yield more positive camber.

IE is a good company with good customer service. They are looking at a fix but none yet. 034 has also been asked to look into.

With a little work on the slots in the foot you can get a few more tenths . This car also likes neg camber on the rear with a stiff 034 sway bar. At neg 2.10 on rear and definite improvement in grip.

These are TT RS specific observations.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hhhmmm, so the plates physically work, but there are potential software issues. IPSA, did you have any software issues with stock springs? Also, how many more tenths can you get by machining the control arm slots? I can always stay at stock height and use stiffer linear coils if I want to firm up the ride. Frankly, the extra camber for grip is more important to me than lowering the car for looks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
camber plates

Hhhmmm, so the plates physically work, but there are potential software issues. IPSA, did you have any software issues with stock springs? Also, how many more tenths can you get by machining the control arm slots? I can always stay at stock height and use stiffer linear coils if I want to firm up the ride. Frankly, the extra camber for grip is more important to me than lowering the car for looks.
I have kept car stock height and with stock springs in case I want to sell or trade. Plates fit fine just move the Mag Ride ECU parameters to a fault setting which deactivates ESC adjustability because car is not happy. Car was looked at by many knowledgable folks, ECU and struts replaced all before compatibility of plates diagnosed.

Careful slot "adjustment " that leaves adequate material will get .2-.3 more neg. Does TTS have slotted "foot"? not sure if a tt rs only part.

The best fix to prevent the front roll over , push issue is to call 034 and get the correct stiff REAR sway bar for the TTS. They do rear bars that work with factory front bar. ( TT RS bar different bc front bar different, need to get proper balance for TTS given its front bar.) This does 2 things I have noticed.First it substantially reduces body lean which reduces weight to the outside of the tire and keeps weight more toward the centerline of the car. This flatter body position also seems to reduce front end dive a bit which of course helps as well. The second benefit is the car wants to oversteer now and with added
neg camber in the rear you can really push the rear into a turn and it bites instead of sliding . It take a little practice but car feels far more set in corners, front tires last far longer ,wear is now up on the tread block and far less aggressive than stock.

More neg camber in front would be great but without going to coil overs or lowering the car a bunch no good way to do it yet.

Finally the recommendation about better bushings is correct. 034 can help w those as well.

Cheers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
IE camber plates do work. Had them on for over a year with MSSKits Track Pack "LS" springs

Adjustable front & rear. The issue is that you cannot go too low. Too low and the strut will bottom out on the bump stop. 13.5" is about as low as i have been able to go. Overall, I'm very happy with the plates and the MSSKits springs. I track my TTS 8-10 weekends per year and have been very impressed at the springs capabilities.

Lake

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I had the front end of my car apart and thought I'd test out the IE plates to see for myself. When installed on my 2009 MagRide dampers and stock springs, the strut assembly is about 45mm longer than stock. I don't know what's going on with other people's cars, or why some people think it will work, but I don't want my car 2" higher than stock.

My search for -3.0° of camber on the MagRide dampers continues...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am resurrecting this thread because IE plates worked fine for my 12' TTS. I decided to take the chance to see if I could get them to work with magride. I pulled my struts and installed the plates. Then I measured the total length and they were 25-30mm longer than OEM, I will admit I was hesitant to use them but I had S5Cab guiding me and he assured me it would work. I used the IE plates with a set of MSS sport springs which Brd.Pry let me have for a great price. After having the car aligned and corner balanced it handles great and not throwing any codes. Thanks guys for the help, especially S5Cab as I must have emailed him 25 different questions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd like to get in touch with 451sdad, jbrehm, S5cab to be sure I understand the path to camber plates while retaining magride for 2012 TTRS. Or anyone else who has solid knowledge about getting that to work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I've read, the thing is to avoid strut compression (length change) when installing camber plate.

I haven't seen them physically but if strut is compressed it would be necessary to add a small separator between strut thread and camber plate female thread ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.