VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen these adjustable camber plates mounted to the front strut towers on Mustangs, etc at autoX events, and I'm interested in adding them to the 16V for the upcoming season. Any of you guys use these , or know where to get them? Advantages/disadvantages? TIA-

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (okartguy)

Not really any disadvantages if you don't buy cheap pieces of crap, it's a great idea and something I would love to have. I am only street driving right now so they are not really necessary. The are available from a number of differnt aftermarket retailers, like Autotech, maybe Nuespeed, Tectonics, etc. Just phone a few or e-mail, look on-line. In a few hours you should have about 5 to choose from on price point and quality or features. Being able to dial in more caster is helpful, more camber is a given, even stock struts will allow a fair amount of negative camber but the caster is good.
James.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (phenix)

quote:[HR][/HR]

These are sold by www.eurosportacc.com. They are the A2 camber plates,they also have some for the A1.[HR][/HR]​
I know you're looking to improve your lap times on the autox, and these will probably help, but they really aren't suitable for daily driving (assuming you daily drive your 16v?) - I had a friend use a set of these for about 3 months and they got majorly bent from driving over potholes, expansion joints, etc. The Ground Control plates would probably stand up better to daily driving abuse...

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (Star Child)

Oh my Gawd, those GC plates make me sooo horny! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

How much for a quicky?
James.

[Modified by A1Rocco, 4:39 AM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Camber plates? (A1Rocco)

Couldn't get the GC link to work. That looks like what I'd need though (it is a daily driver)... If I can get my Westy sold this week, I think I'm going to order either the H&R Cup Kit from Eurosport, or an H&R race spring/Bilstein Sport combo. I'd love to do the GC plates at the same time... Anywhere else to get them?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Okay, got the GC link to work. Doh! $349!!! Wonder how hard it would be to have a bolt-in set custom made...

·
Registered
516 Posts

The BSI plates are probably better for street driving. The bolt into the stock location and give an extra inch of suspension travel which is a must. The GC's also give a little extra travel but they concern me because from my experienec, they don't have support underneath the tower, just four bolts and washers holding up the front of your car. The only draw back with the BSI plates is that they don't have as much adjustability, no caster adjustment. Not that having caster adjustment is all that important, after all, if your caster is off the car will pull to one side on the highway. Not so good for a street driven car.
My $0.02, go with the BSI parts.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (QB)

Check the link in my sig. I have the GC plates mounted from below and rotated 90º for caster adjustment. It raises the car about an inch unfortunately (but we adjust it back with the coilover sleeves.) but allows us to both mount the Neuspeed strut bar AND have 4º positive caster as well as -1.5º camber.
This is for a strictly race (FSP AutoX) car.. Top mounting will drop you an inch or so if you don't need the tie bar.

·
Registered
78 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] If I can get my Westy sold this week [HR][/HR]​
Jon, i'm waiting on the pics. I'm going to the parents tonight and I was gonna talk to dad about it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (B3VR6)

Ian, I thought that under US SCCA rules you could not run a 1.8L in an 81 Scirocco in FSP due to the updating/backdating clause. I thought it could only be engines within the same body style production run therefore eliminating the 1.8L. Obviously I am wrong. Can you elaborate?
James. http://www.autocross.net (our 1999 BC Regionals winning car, CSP)

[Modified by A1Rocco, 9:48 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (A1Rocco)

Sure.. actually, since all 8v Scirocco's are listed on the same line in the SCCA Rulebook, the update/backdate rule does apply.
Because of that, we have a 4k Close-Ratio tranny, Bored JH 1.9, larger fuel distributor, etc. etc.
Seems to work too.. I won both regional championships in FSP this year. On to the Nationals next year, my co-driver (stepfather) just bought a Land Rover and a trailer to tow the Rocco around. Next stop, Evolution Driving School!

Nice Miata.. But you do know that your head work is illegal in Street Prepared, right? You're only allowed to modify a maximum of 1" into the port on the head side. AFAIK, the manifolds are open.. port away. Hey.. I don't care.. but I'll feel for ya if you get a tear down order at the Nat's. I'd suggest pulling that from your site!

[Modified by B3VR6, 5:54 PM 12-5-2001]

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Re: Camber plates? (B3VR6)

Not in Canada!
We are allowed 15 pts. in CSP. Our SP rules allow a few more things, it is basically Prapared class, that's what we would run in the US.
Hmm since I have an 81 Scirocco, that means I can run a 1.8 if I want and stay in FSP. Only thing is I want to run my 2.0L Audi 3A.

Hey does that mean you could run a 1.8 16V and be in CSP?
James.

[Modified by A1Rocco, 11:06 PM 12-5-2001]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts