VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Camber?

1K views 41 replies 10 participants last post by  Bora_Azul 
#1 ·
I am lowering my car 1.3 this week and I was wondering if I need to get a camber kit. Ive talked with a few people and some say yes and some say no. SO WHATS UP... IS IT YES OR NO and does anyone have a pic of a car lowered btwn 1.25 and 1.4

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: Camber? (Bora_Azul)

Um...... Did you just completely not read his post? He said, Do I NEED TO BUY A CAMBER KIT

In any case Reguardless of guy below me's post there ARE camber kits available for the MKIV's. Check out shine racing.
Modified by Wicked1.8T at 8:47 AM 6-23-2005

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 8:48 AM 6-23-2005

#5 ·
Re: Camber? (BlueGrassVW)

Quote, originally posted by BlueGrassVW »
I am lowering my car 1.3 this week and I was wondering if I need to get a camber kit. Ive talked with a few people and some say yes and some say no. SO WHATS UP... IS IT YES OR NO and does anyone have a pic of a car lowered btwn 1.25 and 1.4

no, you don't need a 'camber kit' -- that's something that's sold for hondas and other cars, but not vw's.
your camber won't change much at all if you lower 1.3", but your handling will get worse. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#6 ·
Re: Camber? (Wicked1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by Wicked1.8T »
Um...... Did you just completely not read his post? He said, Do I NEED TO BUY A CAMBER KIT

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 8:47 AM 6-23-2005

umm do you not understand what i'm saying and do you know what you're saying? i didn't think so either..

#7 ·

Quote, originally posted by Bora_Azul »
umm do you not understand what i'm saying and do you know what you're saying? i didn't think so either..

You said, "There are no camber adjustments on a MKIV." That was irrelevant to the question. As he didn't ask about that, he asked if he needed a camber kit. That was almost as scary. as the moderator saying camber kits are only for honda's.

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 9:02 AM 6-23-2005

#8 ·
Re: Camber? (John A)

Quote, originally posted by John A »

no, you don't need a 'camber kit' -- that's something that's sold for hondas and other cars, but not vw's.
your camber won't change much at all if you lower 1.3", but your handling will get worse. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

im down 1.8" and my handling is drastically better.....

#9 ·

You said, "There are no camber adjustments on a MKIV." That was stupid to say as he didn't ask about that, he asked if he needed a camber kit. That was almost as dumb as the moderator saying camber kits are only for honda's.

if there were camber adjustments then he might need them now wouldn't he.... but seeing as how there aren't any the camber really won't change unless he's smacked his car into a curb before .... so no THERE ARE NO ADJUSTMENTS TO THE CAMBER and there fore he DOES NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING A CAMBER KIT

and technically if your control arms are pointing down like \ / , then yes your handling is worse...

p.s don't say its stupid to say something when you are not posting pertinent info...you sound like a wannabe advertiser trying to sell him something he DOESN"T need

p.s.2 -- read this informative thread RS4-380 wrote.... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2004123 (original poster)

Modified by Bora_Azul at 11:56 AM 6-23-2005

#10 ·
Re: Camber? (Dubman1)

Quote, originally posted by Dubman1 »
im down 1.8" and my handling is drastically better.....

no, it's really not. you're probably on your bumpstops.
this has been discussed (and proven) at length numerous times in the suspension forum with facts, not just 'it feels faster' reports.

#11 ·

I'm not trying to sell him anything, the ability to adjust camber comes in damn handy at the track. Tho he said nothing about hitting the track, it's always a possibility in the future.
PS - I have that link concerning camber in my bookmarks already, it's a very helpful and informative post.
PPS. As amsuing as this is I have togoto work, hopefully we can mindlessly bicker about something again later! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PPPS: I just wanted a third post script.

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 8:59 AM 6-23-2005

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 9:01 AM 6-23-2005

#12 ·

I'm not trying to sell him anything, the ability to adjust camber comes in damn handy at the track. Tho he said nothing about hitting the track, it's always a possibility in the future. So, either way, your logic is rediculous and YOU sound like a typical tex'r that knows EVERYTHING about everything. God forbid someone gives him a little info on the side concerning the topic.

you're not really advocating adjusting camber at the track, are you?
because the toe changes dramatically when you change the camber. unless you're suggesing that they re-set the toe at the track too....?

#13 ·

I didn't mean to imply I'd mess with the camber @ the track it self John, I meant to say, The ability to adjust camber comes in handy to prep a car for the track.
PS- Bora, I appologize for being a dick above, didn't mean to take it personal with any "idiot" remarks or anything else. Having a crappy morning.

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 9:01 AM 6-23-2005

#14 ·

I didn't mean to imply I'd mess with the camber @ the track it self John, I meant to say, The ability to adjust camber comes in handy to prep a car for the track.

cool. i've actually SEEN people loosen camber plates and set them to 'full negative' at the track, and then not change toe. i've tried to offer suggestions, but most thing they're doing it right.
i just laugh as i beat them down in competition.

#15 ·

Quote, originally posted by John A »
cool. i've actually SEEN people loosen camber plates and set them to 'full negative' at the track, and then not change toe. i've tried to offer suggestions, but most thing they're doing it right.
i just laugh as i beat them down in competition.

Your kidding me....omfg. I now understand the honda comment...omfg...why would you do that? ...

#16 ·

I'm not trying to sell him anything, the ability to adjust camber comes in damn handy at the track. Tho he said nothing about hitting the track, it's always a possibility in the future. So, either way, your logic is rediculous and YOU sound like a typical tex'r that knows EVERYTHING about everything. God forbid someone gives him a little info on the side concerning the topic.
PS - I have that link concerning camber in my bookmarks already, it's a very helpful and informative post.
PPS. As amsuing as this is I have togoto work, hopefully we can mindlessly bicker about something again later! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
PPPS: I just wanted a third post script.

Modified by Wicked1.8T at 8:59 AM 6-23-2005

i never said i knew it all first of all, as a matter of fact i mentioned that there are camber kits as well in my first post...maybe you happened to read over that because you were over zealous and are out to prove something..i dont' know
i'm not out to prove anything, he asked a question of which i knew some info about....and you sound like a typical texer that just because he looks at someone with as many posts as i do you have to "Try" and make it seem like i'm trying to be an ass , when in reality, you don't know me and all i was doing was helping someone......
and i didn't say you were selling himanything i said it sounded like you were a wannabe advertiser
...gotta read all the words

p.s i don't need to sit here and bicker over anything with oyu.. i'm here to learn and help...also have fun....not bicker...have a good day at work

#17 ·

Do you have a link to where this was proven? I really am not sure whether or not im on my bumpstops, However, my new coils have a much higher spring rate and the dampening of them is also greatly improved over the stock. There is nearly 0 body roll on my car. Plus the added advantage of a lower center of gravity. This interests me, if you could explain how all the advantages of higher spring rate, performance adjusted dampening and a lower center of gravtiy still yield negative handling results, or give me a link to read I would really appreciate it. I can't believe that anyone would be better off with that butter soft VW suspension that comes fromt the factory. Thanks.

#18 ·
Re: Camber? (Dubman1)

with higher spring rates, it'll be less pronounced -- but with your new rates, if you were at stock height, the handling would still be better.
when you lower a vw, the roll center drops faster than the cg, which increases the roll couple. check out the suspension forum FAQ thread.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#21 ·

Good thing my handling will get worse, my whole objective was to lower it so it would handle like a boat!!!

then you're on the right track.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
(i know you're being sarcastic, but i'm not. without a LOT of other work, lower isn't going to be better...)

#23 ·

Quote, originally posted by Bora_Azul »
THERE ARE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CAMBER ADJUSTMENTS ON A MK4....the only way you'll adjust it is by buying camber plates...have your toe in and out done when you lower it
also read this for further reference PLEASE
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2004123

Yes there is, the 3 bolts that bolt the balljoint to the control arm. If you loosen them it will allow you to widen or narrow your stance. Wider will also increase your camber and going narrow will decrease it. The adjustment has it's limitations but is still quite effective.

#24 ·
Re: Camber? (MaxedOutCredit)

Quote, originally posted by MaxedOutCredit »

Yes there is, the 3 bolts that bolt the balljoint to the control arm. If you loosen them it will allow you to widen or narrow your stance. Wider will also increase your camber and going narrow will decrease it. The adjustment has it's limitations but is still quite effective.

doesn't it only give you like .5 of a degree
which leaves you within spec and really doesn't do anything anyways

#26 ·

Ok i know that lowering helps sum...right, so then what else to i need to get to make the car handle better? Strut bar etc?

mind me asking what the primary use of the car will be? are you going to be autocrossing it on a constant basis? if not don't worry about it...if you're going for looks lower it to your desire just remember changing factory settings will put more wear on the those parts of the car that stay "normal"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.