VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, and last update I remember was someone "testing" cams for ECS for APR Stg III's.
I was wondering if anything new has come about? I believe schrick has a set of cams for us. Anyone running these? I'm out of stuff to do to my engine (besides bigger turbo) and I was thinking about a set of cams. Any thoughts on this?

· Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cams for our car?? (VDUBNDizzy)

Really lost 5hp? Did they just lose that in the low end but gain it in the top? Or just total loss? I figured getting a set of mild cams would help us a bit. Hmm.

· Registered
372 Posts
Re: Cams for our car?? (Seanathan`)

I just put my schrick cams in a couple of weeks ago. The car pulls strong from about 4800 rpm right to 7000. If they're loosing any power, it's down low. I can't wait to try them with my stg3 kit. I should have it in about a week or two after waterfest. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Taken from RPI's Site:
Application Product $USD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old School AUDI
10V 5 cyl. Non-Turbo 276 hydraulic $495.
10V 5 cyl. Turbo 272 hydraulic $495.
12V V6 2.8L 260 hydraulic $895.
NEW AUDI
1.8T 20V 252/260 degrees $995.
VOLKSWAGEN
8V 1.8/2.0 normally aspirated, 272 hydraulic $335.
8V 1.8/2.0 Turbo hydraulic $335.
12V VR6 - OBD 1/2 260/264 asymmetrical $795.
12V VR6 - OBD 1 only 268 degree $795.
16V 1.8L, or 2.0L 268 degree $795.
16V 1.8L, or 2.0L 260/276 asymmetrical $795.
12V VR6 - OBD 1/2 260/264 asymmetrical $795.
12V VR6 - OBD 1 only 268 degree $795.
20V 1.8L Turbo 252/260 asymmetrical $995.
24V VR6 2.8/3.2 252 degree $1095.

(and a picture for some hits)

Modified by Seanathan` at 8:13 AM 7-14-2003

· Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Cams for our car?? (LA Wolfsburg)

I'd like to get a set so I can do a dyno from before and after. I did not think the Schrick set would be anywhere near 1K. I thought they'd about around 600 USD the most. Oh well, lets see how these "catcams" are. Maybe I'll get a set....

· Registered
499 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Seanathan` »
I'd like to get a set so I can do a dyno from before and after. I did not think the Schrick set would be anywhere near 1K. I thought they'd about around 600 USD the most. Oh well, lets see how these "catcams" are. Maybe I'll get a set....

The Schricks go for $699 at Bahn Brenner. http://www.bahnbrenner.com/aca....html Just scroll down a bit. The Cat Cams info can be seen at their website: http://www.catcams.be/VW/PN10036xx.htm I'm still trying to decide between cams and an FMIC or just upgrading the turbo. Just kind of worried about going the cam upgrade as they have not been "proven" just yet....
According to the cat cams site, their 1.8t cams come with "adjustable gear set on steel lightweight billets".....interesting!

Modified by Foomanchu at 6:21 AM 7-14-2003

· Registered
24,155 Posts
Re: Cams for our car?? (Foomanchu)

If they really want 699 a set then that is the only place worth going. I paid almost that with a wholesale account from denon, the NA importer for them. So who knows how they are getting them to sell for that cheap.

· Registered
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Cams for our car?? (AXIS)

Hmm I'm still debating on which set to get! I would like Schrick, But i'm interested on these Cat cams..... I want something a little bit more aggressive so probably the Schrick's.
I'm going to be getting a front mount IC soon.....hopefully.... so I doubt i'll be able to get a set of cams.... But I really want to at the same time...... hmmm...

· Registered
3,664 Posts

will these cams work with the AWV engine from the beetle?
i did a search and found many inconclusive posts.
did chris ever resolve his problems?
i have no problem losing 30hp down low, if i can get 30hp up mid-top (where you really use it)

· Registered
24,155 Posts
Re: Cams for our car?? (Brown E)

it was 20-30ft/lbs of torque down low when I was already putting like 270 plus ft/lbs down, so all it gave me was traction back and some nice power uptop. but I had problems in the middle boost area 10-14lbs on the file I was using so driveability was sort of iffy. With other files I had it ran perfect but they made less boost so I lost the HP gains frm up top anyway. If I ever find the charts I'll put them up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.