VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a , MKIII 2.0. I want to throw in a camshaft. I have the neuspeed chip, a catback exhaust and plan to switch my p-flow back to the box with a K&N. Now then, I've heard a 270 is the ideal cam. Any suggestions on degree or manufacturer?

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
Re: camshaft advice needed (phargo)

What do you want out of this camshaft? Is your car used in traffic, or just played in on the weekends? Where do you want your power located...low or high in the rpm band?

An Autotech 270 or a Techtonics 266 (different advertised durations, but basically the same characteristics) is going to give you a lot of torque low end, but not so much up top. This is a good 'around the town' cam if you arent into racing or revving the crap out of the engine between shifts. This cam has a decent idle as well.
A 268' camshaft is the best overall camshaft for everyday driving. great low end torque, and it will pull till about 5200rpms strong. Techtonics makes one for $130. I ran this cam and liked it a lot. It has a lobe center of 110'...which gives it a lopey idle. Schrick and Eurospec Sport also make a great 268 as well, but you will pay a premium price for either of them. Also, they have a lobe center of 113 degrees, which would make them an ideal "larger" camshaft option if you wanted to go forced inducted later.
A 272 duration cam is the largest duration you want to go with a stock head. I currently run a 272 and like it a lot. It starts to pull strong after 3500rpms till 6400rpms. My stock head limits me from the engine breating well after that rpm. This cam is also great on the highway....when needed, 5th to 3rd drops are VERY fun!
*EDIT*
One more thing, you will need to replace your single valve springs with a dual spring setup when you upgrade your camshaft. No if, ands, or buts. I didnt put dual springs in my head right away and ran two separate cams with lifts of .440" & .444". When I finally did upgrade the springs, the first two coils of the springs were silver where you could see where the spring was binding! Max camshaft lift on stock OBDII valve springs is .428". You can purchase HD spings from Techtonics (their springs are fine now, despite their past problems) for $120 or you can get more expensive ones from Autotech or Schrick.

Modified by tdogg74 at 11:07 AM 5/20/2004

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Re: camshaft advice needed (tdogg74)

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
What he said.

I personally would suggest looking at the tt268 verus the hor270 or tt266 (remember, same cam). Better power up top, while still maintaining more of the lower end torque.
The 272 duration cam is definitely a step up, but getting that high of a lift/duration you're starting to talk about doing additional head work to see the real performance gains. Not that you won't initially, just you'll see the full potential when it's matched with a P&P'd head.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Re: camshaft advice needed (ramylson)

what company has the best deal for a 272 cam? ive done some research and decided thats what i want.

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
Re: camshaft advice needed (pdstahl)

Get a CAT cam. I hear they are very good. I forget how much they are. They sell a 272 duration with zero advance and one with 2 degrees of advance built in. Just get the 272 with zero advance and get an adjustable cam gear. All the advance does is boost your low end tq up a couple of hp. I run my 272 at 2 degrees retarded. With my setup, I only lose 1-2 hp between 2200-3200rpms, but gain over 5hp top end over it being at 2 degrees of advance.
The BEST (IMHO) 272 is made by Schrick. Quite expensive.
I actually dont know who makes my 272. It has a .444" of lift. I purchased it from Eurospec Sport (they dont list a 272 in their inventory). I believe its someone elses cam though.

·
Registered
329 Posts

cat cams, where can i find one of them? sorry for all the questions i just want to do this right

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

I believe you can get CAT cams through TRM Performance. Not 100% on that one, but look through their website. Or, give Tracy a call.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Re: camshaft advice needed (phargo)

I don't know what year your car is but you may need to changed your valve springs when up grading your cam & depending on mileage, if you put in an aggresive cam you could destroy your piston rings & start to get blue exhaust smoke, better known as blowby, which means there's so much compression in the top of your engine that the bottom is not strong enough to deal with, so slowly you grind away your piston rings & the cubustion from up top goes right by your pistons, this is costly, so if you change your cam, change your pistion rings main bearings & rod bearings & get dual valve springs, I have the Autotech 270 cam but I made all the proper moves with it & my car flies, but I also have headers & a chip. Good luck & try not to break anything.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: camshaft advice needed (carwars622)

OK, where can I get rings, bearings and springs? And, do I need to replace lifters?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts

With the car I think you've decided on (272), you'll only need to replace the springs, retainers, and liftes. Depending on how much you want to put into this, you might want to take a look at Ti retainers to allow the engine to be a bit more free revving..

·
Registered
90 Posts

Quote, originally posted by tdogg74 »
What do you want out of this camshaft? Is your car used in traffic, or just played in on the weekends? Where do you want your power located...low or high in the rpm band?

An Autotech 270 or a Techtonics 266 (different advertised durations, but basically the same characteristics) is going to give you a lot of torque low end, but not so much up top. This is a good 'around the town' cam if you arent into racing or revving the crap out of the engine between shifts. This cam has a decent idle as well.
A 268' camshaft is the best overall camshaft for everyday driving. great low end torque, and it will pull till about 5200rpms strong. Techtonics makes one for $130. I ran this cam and liked it a lot. It has a lobe center of 110'...which gives it a lopey idle. Schrick and Eurospec Sport also make a great 268 as well, but you will pay a premium price for either of them. Also, they have a lobe center of 113 degrees, which would make them an ideal "larger" camshaft option if you wanted to go forced inducted later.
A 272 duration cam is the largest duration you want to go with a stock head. I currently run a 272 and like it a lot. It starts to pull strong after 3500rpms till 6400rpms. My stock head limits me from the engine breating well after that rpm. This cam is also great on the highway....when needed, 5th to 3rd drops are VERY fun!
*EDIT*
One more thing, you will need to replace your single valve springs with a dual spring setup when you upgrade your camshaft. No if, ands, or buts. I didnt put dual springs in my head right away and ran two separate cams with lifts of .440" & .444". When I finally did upgrade the springs, the first two coils of the springs were silver where you could see where the spring was binding! Max camshaft lift on stock OBDII valve springs is .428". You can purchase HD spings from Techtonics (their springs are fine now, despite their past problems) for $120 or you can get more expensive ones from Autotech or Schrick.
Modified by tdogg74 at 11:07 AM 5/20/2004

Great..I will go with the 268 ..Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 13 of 13 Posts