VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Volkswagen golf with a 1.8L, 8v carbureted engine. I've been searching for a while for a street camshaft for my golf and can not seem to find any websites that sell them for my carbureted engine. Does anyone have any suggested websites where I might be able to find it? Thanks:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am 100% sure this engine is carbureted. I've even went to VW to get a carb flange for it since it is broken, even my boyfriends uncle says it is as well because he used to work on rally golf's in south america when he lived there. I am from Southern Ontario in the GTA.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was confused on what it was, since VW told me it was a carb and I needed a carb flange for it I myself just assumed that it was carbureted. I'm guessing it is a single point injection then? Which basically works like a carb Correct?. I'm a girl so I'm not exactly a wizard with cars, the only other car I've ever worked on is my boyfriends 240.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help! Do you happen to know any well known websites where I will be able to find cams for my car? I've found a few websites but I'm not to sure which ones are reliable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have about 230K, so since I have such high KM's should I change out the valves springs just to be safe? Also about changing the manifold, exhaust ect; is it absolutly necessary to change all of that just to put in new cam's? Thanks for the help by the way, really helps me out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are plenty of places, maybe hundreds, that sell parts for these cars and most are good companies. Autotech and TechTonics Tuning are two of the older and better known. I would compare prices, to include shipping as there might be extra taxes due to your location, and go with what you feel is best. There are expensive makes of camshafts like Schrick or Kent and there are cheaper brands like CatCams or the house brands of the above listed companies. CatCams are good and made the camshafts for VW Motorsport before, maybe still.

No, in many cases, often if you like, the factory springs are just fine. If you start getting into a more "race" intended grind of camshaft then custom springs either may or will be needed. The factory springs are fine if the engine is not to old/high milage. If it is then it would be a good idea to replace them as they could be week but you still do not need "high performance" springs. You should replace the followers due to the metal to metal contact and the wear-in patterns causes.

For your engine I would suggest an Autotech Sport 270° camshaft (made by Hör before) as it is less expensive and a good camshaft. It works fine with factory springs. The exhaust of your model should be changed too as you will not recieve the full benefit with that factory exhaust. An exhaust manifold from say the PF 8v engine, dual downpipe and cat that works will help the camshaft to work better. Raising the fuel pressure a little bit also helps with the Mono injection units.
Bought a 2.0L ABA motor for my car. Looking into camshafts and was on technotics tuning and found this paticualr one. Would it be a good cam for this motor? Thanks http://http://techtonicstuning.com/...ct_info&cPath=2_13_61_484_92&products_id=1980

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmmm so just the lifters eh. I was told to do everything on my head basically just to be safe like valve springs, head gasket, cam seals, retainers, cam sprocket, valve guides and lifters but thats going to cost me more than the motor.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I see that we are on the same page here lol. All I wanted was to have a little more fun with my daily car, make it sound nice and give it a little more go under the hood. Just was a little confused on how I should properly install a camshaft with any other mods or add-on's needed to do so, I was getting told so many different things from people who don't even drive VW's so I didn't know who to believe and not believe. It's better to get advice from someone who has successfully done it to a 8V VW motor. Re- doing the WHOLE head is WAY out of my budget especially for my daily car.. If I wanted to have a crazy track car I'd rather spend my money on another car that already comes with more power with small mods needed. I appreciate the time you spent helping me understand what to do and what not to do, I honestly thought I would have to dump 800+ dollars just to throw a cam into it or even get just a little more out of my 2.slow lol! So 260 cam, new hydraulic lifters and I'm set! Thanks again :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.