VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a new camshaft to put in my g60 and have been kicking around the idea of installing myself. I have done all the work on my cars before, such as brakes, exhaust, intake, etc. But have never attempted any engine work besides just the basics. How hard is a cam install and any advice for me and if i have it done how much will it cost? I am also looking to find out what else I should do while i have everything open. I know i should replace the cam oil seal. But anything else? Should i replace the cam gear? I am not opposed to doing it myself, just a little nervous that is about it. I have a bentley manual and it doesnt seem to bad, but just looking for some advice. Thanks guys

[Modified by bhanse4, 10:18 PM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Camshaft install?? (bhanse4)

you need to know how to retime your car, umm the cam bolt isn't easy to get off. You need a new valve cover seal while you are there, and you MUST replace the lifters. Not a cheap job

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re: Camshaft install?? (bhanse4)

quote:[HR][/HR]Should i replace the cam gear? [HR][/HR]​
no.
Get a valve cover gasket, cam seal, and 8 new lifters. A torque wrench is necessary, and following Bentley directions is very important. Its a good thing to do yourself, as you get to see more of the "guts" of your engine. Alot of guys say that the only way to get the cam gear off is with an air gun, that is not so. I use some old pieces of rubber to pad a prybar and wedge the prybar between the head and cam gear...works well everytime...

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Re: Camshaft install?? (thetatau87)

I'm in the same boat. My lifters are tapping and I want a new cam also. How do you remove/install the lifters? Would one of you fine gentlemen care to write-up a step-by-step with precautions and such?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: Camshaft install?? (zedcorrado)

I have done this job myself.....It isint fun but if you want to learn about your car and understand how everything works..you should do it..its all about patients and if you got some..and yes the timing is the hardest part..If you can get the crank/cam timing correct..you shouldnt even need to toy with the ignition timing..
These guys on here are a big help....My car is finally running great lacking a little boost but that is my next proj now that the engine is straight...thanks to G60ING,Fastbunny and Mkrad and a few others that helped me understand the
the engineering of this car..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts