VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaking oil. Just had my 95k mile service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
So, the valve cover is leaking if I understand this correctly. The valve cover / cam girdle are a single integrated unit. I don't know why this would take more than a day or cost that much. Basically, you need anaerobic sealant for the valve cover, and the timing chain cover gasket set is only like $15. You also need a new camshaft plug, but that's like $2. The only other thing is the valve cover bolts are one time use; those are about $100; but you can get re-useable ARP ones for the same price at USP motorsports. Link: ARP Camshaft Girdle Bolt Kit: 2.0TSI - ARP-CGB-TSI - 3675

The hardest part of this is maintaining timing, but really that's not a huge issue since you aren't removing the timing chain. You can do this yourself for about $150.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This is pretty much the information/advice I was looking for. Must be all labor.
If it is just removal and replacement without any adjustments, I should be able to tackle it. I’ll see if YouTube has some videos on it.
Thanks. You always have valuable information/advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Resurrecting this....So I haven't done anything yet. But I would like to verify that in fact this thing is leaking. What is the best way to degrease/clean (products?) around the area to see if it actually is? I know the connector from the PCV to the rear intake tube is a little broken and it is really messy around there. I'll take some pictures.

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,583 Posts
You can also pull your spark plugs--if the girdle is leaking around the outer edge is more than likely one or more sparkplugs is getting oil leaking in the holes too. Actually you don't even really need to pull the plugs you can just get a socket down on them and then bring the socket up. You'll probably have oil (the degree will vary on how bad the leak is) on at least one of them I bet. I'm leaking on #1 a little last time I checked but not leaking on the outside edge much. If the spark plug holes are leaking badly enough the oil can actually overflow out the hole(s) and down the back of the engine. Typically speaking the coils don't get damaged or even fail to fire even if they are mostly submerged in oil lol. That's the good news at least.

Now there's no way this should cost $1750 but they also mention the timing chain cover--is this for a complete timing job? Because it might be time to do that anyway (presuming you didn't do it already). If your 2013 is a later build is should definitely have the updated tensioner however it won't have the updated chain. Eventually you'll still need to do a timing service because of chain wear (some people call this "stretch")--I'm in the exact same boat and plan to do it next spring/summer. You neeed to take a look at your timing adjustment values (if you have VCDS or OBD Eleven) and see how many degrees it is. Once it gets over a certain value, it's pretty much time for a full timing job.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Careful to determine that this is not just a valve cover leaking. This is a common occurrence due to failed PCV causing undue vapor pressure causing other gaskets to fail such as the valve cover, pcv, vacuum pump, rear main seal. This was my experience. The cam girdle gasket is expected to be more durable that the ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I am hoping for. I'll clean the area and see what I can see.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Careful to determine that this is not just a valve cover leaking. This is a common occurrence due to failed PCV causing undue vapor pressure causing other gaskets to fail such as the valve cover, pcv, vacuum pump, rear main seal. This was my experience. The cam girdle gasket is expected to be more durable that the ones I mentioned.
This is only on EA113 engines. EA888 engines do not have a valve cover to speak of, it's a combination cover and bridge/girdle. On EA113 engines you are correct, a bad PCV will most likely blow out the valve cover gasket--a relatively cheap and easy fix. On EA888 engines a bad PCV is more likely to blow out the rear main seal, a relatively complicated and expensive fix (if you are paying someone to do it).

The cam girdle on EA888 engines isn't an overly expensive fix but there is no gasket (it's a sealant) and due to the fact you don't want the cams to go anywhere, it's a slightly more involved a job. Still nothing that would cost $1750 USD, that's for sure. But if the timing chain cover is leaking, as said, it's probably time for a full timing job anyway--if that's all in there, $1750 isn't an unexpected amount at a stealer.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That $1750 is just for that work, to replace the seals at the timeing chain cover and the cam girdle from Audi. VW told me $1450, but they need the car to make sure that's what it is. I know there is some labor involved, moving coolant reservoir out of the way, oil dipstick, coilpacks, PCV, HPFP and others. I've watched the YouTube hack videos on this and also have the official Audi workshop manual, thanks to a forum member. Not out of my league, but pushing the limits of what I want to do.

What's involved in a timing chain job anyway? I thought chains did not need to be replaced typically.

103,500 miles on the odo. Got my 105k service coming up.

Reactions: Audi'sRevenge

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
That $1750 is just for that work, to replace the seals at the timeing chain cover and the cam girdle from Audi. VW told me $1450, but they need the car to make sure that's what it is. I know there is some labor involved, moving coolant reservoir out of the way, oil dipstick, coilpacks, PCV, HPFP and others. I've watched the YouTube hack videos on this and also have the official Audi workshop manual, thanks to a forum member. Not out of my league, but pushing the limits of waht I want to do.
Ahhh I think you can do it--I believe in you! :) Only thing is if you have winter where you are, like ****ty Canada, it might be a bit annoying to do even more so if you don't have a garage to do it in.

That does seem pricey but as you can see it varies by dealer as well--$300 difference right there. But the second place sounds alright given they even told you, they need to make sure that's what it is--i.e. they don't sound like the type of place to do whatever and charge you whatever even if it's not what you need done.

What's involved in a timing chain job anyway? I thought chains did not need to be replaced typically.
Haha on EA888 Gen1/2? No such luck. VAG designed one of the worst timing chain systems evar. Granted they are not the only ones that has messed up a chain system. First of all the earlier tensioner (from when the engine started appearing in ~08 to sometime in 2012) that thing is a time bomb and is honestly the stupidest design you can imagine. Most (but probably not all) 2013 cars would have the newer tensioner though. However even after that the chain wears prematurely as well (some people call this "stretch"), meaning they also revised the chain but I don't think that happened until sometime in 2014. So even if you don't have to do a timing job because of the moronic version of the tensioner, you'll still likely need to do a timing job anyway.

Basically the chain is way more of a headache than the EA113 engines' belt. Because with the belt you know when you need to change it. The chain, there's no interval, so you basically just have to keep an eye on the timing adjustment value--recommended every oil change. Also the timing belt on those engine is super simple to do because it's like a SOHC engine with just one cam sprocket. The hardest part of that job is getting the damn engine mount out on transverse applications--that part is a nightmare lol.

Anyway yeah the chain is quite a bit more involved than the older engines' belt. You'll also need to replace the guides (because just like most German cars these days they're made with plastic that goes brittle over time, so gotta replace those too).

103,500 miles on the odo. Got my 105k service coming up.
Yeah that's like 170k km right there. If the engine has never had a timing job, it's the time to do it TBH. If you gotta do the other stuff you might as well do the chain, esp. if you're looking at madness like $1500 just to do gaskets.

As mentioned, unfortunately the timing chain system on this engine is totally a pain, and is definitely not a "for life" system like it should have been.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Reactions: Audi'sRevenge

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Thanks. I'll get a quote for a timing chain job. That may be over my skill level. What's involved in that work?

I like that there are complete service kits available: Audi A3 Quattro 2.0T Timing Chain Kits - ECS Tuning
It's quite involved I would say, there's videos on YT if you want to have a look/get an idea. It's not impossible but if you don't have the time/space/tools, it might be better left to having done by a good shop. One of the worst parts will likely still be that engine mount and supporting/jacking up the engine to get it out. You also need the insert thing that prevents the crank from going out of time when you remove the bolt--that's critically important. The kits do include all the timing parts but won't include any tools you might need; also there may be fasteners (bolts) that are called out to replace that aren't in there either. For example the engine mount bolts are TTY, so you'll need to replace those for sure; possibly others.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning on replacing my mounts too at some point. Time for an upgrade at that time. (Transmission and Engine; 034 Motorsports)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts