VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Can’t figure this fuel metering problem out!!

642 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  KMAN VR 
#1 ·
Long post, I apologize: I’m looking for help trying to figure out my fuel metering issue; specifically, why my injectors are pushing fuel (like full blast) while the air plate is down. I transplanted a 16v (9A) into my 83 gas rabbit pickup using a KE Jetronic box, wiring harness and dizzy. I cleaned out the dizzy w/solvents and judicious amounts of compressed air. The plunger took a little bit of coaxing to come out at first but it came out and looks great. It was cleaned w/solvent and now moves freely on its own weight.
Here’s the problem: after jumping the fuel pump relay and pressurizing the system (it’s a new fuel pump), fuel began firing from the injectors w/the air plate down. Moving the air plate up made no difference in the volume expelled. I pulled the dizzy from the air box w/ fuel lines still connected. The plunger is in zero position, has upward resistance, and gland nut is within spec @ 0.6mm, but again, when the fuel pump was turned on, fuel continued shooting from the injectors as if WOT. I put on a new diaphragm FPR and even ran a hose off it to make sure the return was patent and indeed it was. I thought maybe the dizzy was bad, so I put in another one that I had on hand and cleaned etc… Put it in and the same thing happened!!
*I realize it’s totally possible for both dizzy’s to be bad, but how probable is it?* I’m feeling like there’s gotta be something I’m missing! Today I took apart one of the dizzys and it was clean w the diaphragm intact and not deformed; O-rings were intact and starting to stiffen but still pliable...I’m gonna go ahead and rebuild w new o rings and diaphragm but I’m not hopeful it will change anything...Incidentally, I noted there was no spring at the top of the barrel above the plunger. Should there be? I’ve read some conflicting info on this. I don’t think this would be the cause of my problems anyway as there is downward pressure on the plunger which in theory, should keep the plunger in the zero position until it’s moved up the barrel. I’m stumped. I have a hard time believing all injectors are shot exactly the same way. How is so much fuel and pressure getting to the injectors??!!
The only thing I haven’t done is check the fuel pressure...I haven’t got my hands on one yet...
New parts:
-Fuel pump
-Fuel pressure diaphragm regulator
-Fuel filter

I appreciate your thoughts!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.