VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the story. I found a pretty good deal on an 84 GTI that has a nice body and interior. The car comes with a 1.7 Omni engine that the previous owner sunk $2500 into a performance build. The Omni engine has a Carb (holley 2bbl) and apparently the omni charging system uses a voltage regulator. Nobody has been able to get the Omni engine to work, apparently there are some clearance issues with the alternator and the previously mentioned voltage reg. Can I make an 84 work carburated or should I buy the GTI sans engine and do something else?
Any experience would be GREATLY appreciated. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Re: Can a 1.7 Omni engine go in an A1???? (danwink)

This doesn't reply to your post, but havent there been 2,2 liter engine available to dodge omni? Wonder how this would plug into rabbit, because methinks that motor mounts should be quite the same?!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
I think VW made the 1.7's but someone else made the 2.2L in the newer omni's i remember a post not too long ago about it.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Re: (Fox-N-It)

yes it will work but you will have to keep it carbed there are no ports for injectors. i think it was an audi motor you could also run the auto trans from an omni and its a lot better than any vw auto tranny

·
Registered
4,445 Posts

Quote, originally posted by danwink »
Ok, here's the story. I found a pretty good deal on an 84 GTI that has a nice body and interior. The car comes with a 1.7 Omni engine that the previous owner sunk $2500 into a performance build. The Omni engine has a Carb (holley 2bbl) and apparently the omni charging system uses a voltage regulator. Nobody has been able to get the Omni engine to work, apparently there are some clearance issues with the alternator and the previously mentioned voltage reg. Can I make an 84 work carburated or should I buy the GTI sans engine and do something else?
Any experience would be GREATLY appreciated. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

The omni 1.7 is the VW 1.7- just different accessories and carb. It is a stinking piece of crap and should be avoided at all costs. $2500,00 into a 1.7 gets you nowhere.
Run from this "deal".
Find a complete, unhacked 1.8GTI if you have your hear set on an A1

·
Registered
10,608 Posts
Re: Can a 1.7 Omni engine go in an A1???? (84_GLI_coupe)

Quote, originally posted by 84_GLI_coupe »
And they changed the motor mount style when they changed to the 2.2.

They changed a whole bunch of stuff not just the mounts. From what I hear, there's no convenient way to put a Omni 2.2L into a VW, the VW tranny doesn't even bolt directly up to the block. That's not to say that somebody somewhere hasn't done it but ...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts

So who made this 2.2 and what will it fit in? Any one know the specs on it and if its based on a vw block at all? I have a 16V head dieing for a home in something bigger than a 2.0

1 - 9 of 9 Posts