VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just outside santa barbara driving home in the middle of the night, hauling ass down a mountain road.... I redlined it in 3rd passing a porsche to get in front of him. The car was running fine then I got to the bottom hill and the check engine light flashes and I lose power. I pull over and check my spark plug wires... it seems one of them is loose, I put it back on. I start going again and the check engine light is on but not flashing any more. What happens is when I give the car any sort of throttle at all it makes a *click* *click* *click* sound through my cars speakers, like the spark is somehow getting diverted into my stereo's power lead that runs next to it. Whenever this happens I lose power, and my car runs like crap, however I was able to make it the 200 miles home because it seems to behave normally when I'm not stepping on the throttle.
So I just VAG-commed it and I had "misfire in cylinder 6" and "random misfiring" codes... I checked all the wires and they all seem to be hooked up right.... I have aftermarket plug wires .... velocity 8mm... so I wonder if that could be part of the problem. But I'm guessing it's probably a blown coil pack?? If so, what is a good place to order a coil pack?? My dealer parts counter told me they would have to ship one from canada and it would be $389

Thanks alot for your help..... my broke ass VR6 thanks you too!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Re: Can a VR6 god help me with my misfire problem? (Henry)

Well, im not a Vr god but, you coulda crapped up one of your plug wires. it happend to some aftermarket ones my brother had after he drove his car in excess of 130 mph for 30 minutes
. i'm sure that you know and probably already have looked at the engine and night and seen if any of it was sparking. if you want to check and see if it is one of your plug wires, while it is running crappy, pop one out, only one at a time, and go throught them all. as you pull each wire off, if they are still good, it will run even worse and almost make your car die. but if one of them is bad it won't make any difference. good thing to check before you buy a whole new coil pack. thats my .02 cents.

·
Banned
11,719 Posts
Re: Can a VR6 god help me with my misfire problem? (vduber6er)

No, the terminals develop cracks at the base, can happen to any and all terminals. Do a search, there is a chaep fix involving siliconig the base where the crack is to reseal it. Should work for awhile. $5 is better than $350 IMO.
quote:[HR][/HR]If it was a bad coilpack wouldnt you be misfiring in cyl 2, 4, & 6?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
18,556 Posts
Re: Can a VR6 god help me with my misfire problem? (rocket vr6)

Do the water spray test first though. Start the car up in the dark..
Spray a fine mist of water over the top of the engine.. coilpack, sparkplug
wires etc.. and look for visible arcing. And don't buy a new coilpack if it's
the problem.. just do the epoxy fix (search for it in the http://www.gti-vr6.net/library)
You might also have a loose spark plug. It does happen and you
should fix it ASAP or it'll eventually pop out, sometimes stripping
some of the threads.
ian

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
Re: Can a VR6 god help me with my misfire problem? (Daemon42)

quote:[HR][/HR]You might also have a loose spark plug. It does happen and you
should fix it ASAP or it'll eventually pop out, sometimes stripping
some of the threads.
ian[HR][/HR]​
Ian is right. Plugs will back themselves out sometimes. It happened to one of mine. The only reason I noticed it was that my plug wire was moving in time with the ticking I heard.
I checked it out and the plug wasn't even finger-tight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.