VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be doing some winter road trips and would prefer to not only not wear out my new RE-050A's but also have better suited tires for going through the Pacific Northwest in December.
I have searched around and seen people using the "Long Beach" wheels - are those the GTI 17" 5 spokes? Do those fit with no problems?
Anyway, if anyone has a recommendation - please share!
Thanks.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Re: Can anyone recommend a good all-season/winter setup for the R? (wombatsauce)

LBs + pirelli sottozeros =

LBs bolt right with oem bolts
then you can go ENJOY the snow!!

not my R.. and the LBs are painted black

Modified by bostoneric at 8:19 AM 11-1-2007

·
Registered
850 Posts
If you have a Discount Tire nearby, go there. They will match any price you can find on the net. I like Dunlops for winter, and just got a set of SP Winter Sport 3D's. Get the smallest rims that will clear your brakes if you are concerned about potential damage due to ice, curbs, etc. Get the cheapest rims you can "bear" seeing on your car ; ) I used steelies for the first year, but got so much flak I changed to some $80 aluminum rims the next year.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts
Re: (MCPaudiTT)

Quote, originally posted by MCPaudiTT »
I used steelies for the first year, but got so much flak I changed to some $80 aluminum rims the next year.

steelies

just stick with your original plan.. LBs + whatever winter tire you like.
everybody has a different opinion on winter tires http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Re: Can anyone recommend a good all-season/winter setup for the R? (wombatsauce)

The TR R above is mine, with black powder coated Long Beaches. Keep your eyes on the classifieds. I picked up this set with the tires for $600 from (omni) as he had sold his R. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,452 Posts

. I like Dunlops for winter, and just got a set of SP Winter Sport 3D's. Get the smallest rims that will clear your brakes if you are concerned about potential damage due to ice, curbs, etc. Get the cheapest rims you can "bear" seeing on your car ; ) I used steelies for the first year, but got so much flak I changed to some $80 aluminum rims the next year.

i'm with ya - i got myself some great dunlop performance:rolleyes: snows...i ran em last year and loved em...17 inch tirerack special...everything came out right at 1000 to 1100 bucks and was an awesome deal if i do say so myself.
all season=no season

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
Re: (GRRR32)

the dunlop wintersport M3 was a great snow/wet tire (perfect for seattle most of the time). I will be getting the Wintersport 3d's for the replacement. I run them on Audi TT "Fat 5's". They are easy to clean, and don't let much snow pack into them.

·
Registered
8,266 Posts

Not even with spacers? Surprising... There are loads of different steelies out there, too...

please go back to TT forum where you might actually know something..

·
Registered
9,525 Posts

Not even with spacers? Surprising... There are loads of different steelies out there, too...
There is a 17inch steelie that will fit over the brakes, but it's 3.5 inches wide. I've not been able to find a winter tire to fit that.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Re: (banzaimf)

I recently purchased some Blizzak LM-25s 205/50-17 with some 17" wheels from Discount Tire. They matched the The Tire Rack, discounted what would have been the shipping cost and they had a $200 off promo. Just under $1,000 with certificates

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good all-season/winter setup for the R? (Budgeezer)

Quote, originally posted by Budgeezer »
The TR R above is mine, with black powder coated Long Beaches. Keep your eyes on the classifieds. I picked up this set with the tires for $600 from (omni) as he had sold his R. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

That's a good idea. Mostly this was to get an idea of the easiest wheel to stick on my R32. I don't really care about style on a winter setup, and truthfully I don't NEED a winter setup nor do I need this for the reasons most people do. I don't snowboard or ski or anything. Just looking for a set that will be safer in case I hit snow/ice, while also not stacking up the miles on my new RE-050A's. Going to Phoenix in a couple weeks, then Oregon for Christmas.
Thanks to the people who offered good advice!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good all-season/winter setup for the R? (Patryk R32)

Quote, originally posted by Patryk R32 »
Does there have to be a tire thread every single day?

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3516124
Still on page 1.

Modified by Patryk R32 at 9:28 AM 11-1-2007

Is there a tire thread every single day?
Does the thread you linked provide any insight into a set of wheels that would be a "no fuss" installation on my R32? If so, feel smart for a sec.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Howdy all.. I have been looking for Longbeaches, but have found none. I am sure this has been answered before, but I could not find it. I am pre-emptively sorry to those that are bothered by such things.
Do the stock 5-spoke wheels from the GTI fit on the R32 as easy as the LB's? I would assume they do - just wanted to check. I haven't seen any R's with these wheels..
Thanks!!

·
Registered
17,668 Posts
Re: (wombatsauce)

Assuming you are talking about the MKIV GTi, yes. In fact, LB's *were* stock GTi wheels for a while. The five spoke GTi wheels are called Monte Carlos, BTW.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
i'm running michelin pilot alpin PA2's haven't had them in the snow yet, but they grip just like my summer tires so far in the cold wet rain we mostly get here. i have them in the stock size as i have a spare set of aristos

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.