VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '01 Jetta VR6 and I'm thinking of supercharging it. I'd like to know if there is a proven system out there for the MK4's. I thought about turbo charging but I don't want to deal with the complexities of the install (oil lines for the turbo, changing the oil pan, etc.) and the supercharger should get me to about 250 horse which is where I want to be. Is there anything else I might need to do along with the supercharger? Will the stock driveline components be able to handle it? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (OLD GTI GUY)

Have Rich at Dubwerks set you up with a Z-engineering SC, A new Clutch and a peloquin Differential. I have a GIAC 256 Chip and cams for sale, that will save you a little $$$$$ Here's a Dyno for ya!!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (tatge)

That be my Dyno Chart! Best I've seen is 258whp. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (SCVR6)

I've heard some negative things about z-engineering...are these stories not true? I'd also like to know how driveability is affected. Does the power come on smoothly?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I've heard some negative things about z-engineering...are these stories not true? I'd also like to know how driveability is affected. Does the power come on smoothly?[HR][/HR]​
I'll be hones with you, I've gone through a few chargers before the third gen came out. Nik has alway's been supportive of his product and taken care of me. He has done alot of work to make this a simple kit that can be put on in just a few hours. The power is very smooth, and comes on hard at 4000+ and does not stop till 7000RPM. For only running 6.5 of boost the HP numbers are great with the cams and stage 2 software. I recommend the kit, of course you'll hear mixed reviews like everything. Goodluck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

You have only 2 choices: $4500 Z-kit or custom setup.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (Knockwurst)

quote:[HR][/HR]You have only 2 choices: $4500 Z-kit or custom setup. [HR][/HR]​
I thought AMS makes a kit that is based on the Vortec supercharger? Not sure it was for the MK4's though. That $4500 price tag is kind of steap. I guess that's the price ya gotta pay...

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I thought AMS makes a kit that is based on the Vortec supercharger? Not sure it was for the MK4's though. That $4500 price tag is kind of steap. I guess that's the price ya gotta pay...[HR][/HR]​
I called AMS last month – they’re in the process of developing a supercharger for the MK4 platform. In my opinion, if $4500 is what it takes to play, I’d like to have more choice

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

quote:[HR][/HR]I called AMS last month – they’re in the process of developing a supercharger for the MK4 platform. In my opinion, if $4500 is what it takes to play, I’d like to have more choice
[HR][/HR]​
I'm with you on that one. I didn't think they sold for that high though. Did AMS quote you a price range?

·
Registered
9,899 Posts

Well if you do not want to mess with oil lines and a new oil pan then you can forget about the Vortech charger when it comes out...... It will have oil lines to the charger..... From your post, and what you want out of it the Z-charger is your only choice....
Good luck

·
Registered
1,173 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm with you on that one. I didn't think they sold for that high though. Did AMS quote you a price range?[HR][/HR]​
No price quote – I didn’t bother asking because it’s speculative.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Dam this crap gets expensive. I didn't know the Vortec was going to require oil lines so thanks to climbingque for the info. I'll let you guys know how it turns out if I decide to take this route. Thanks alot! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
11,846 Posts

No flames just an FYI....
Eurotech is also developimg a SC for the MKIV's.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (Demon_Dub)

Do they have a time frame or a web site to check some specs?

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Dam this crap gets expensive. I didn't know the Vortec was going to require oil lines so thanks to climbingque for the info. I'll let you guys know how it turns out if I decide to take this route. Thanks alot! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
The Vortech blower has always required oil lines and will continue to do so. They'll probably put the
blower down in the same area that Z-eng did so it'll be a pretty short run for the oil lines
over to the pan. Not a big deal. The MkIV Z-eng kit doesn't look quite as plug an play as the
MkIII anyway so the labor involved with both is about the same. A MKIII Z-eng kit can be installed
from scratch in less than 2 hours by a competant DIYer. I reverted mine back to stock beside
the road with a small bag of tools in less than 90 minutes when I had a belt failure (due to a bad
water pump pulley). The MkIV kit's mounting location and routing of intake tubes and such is going
to take longer to deal with, for both kits.
That location is going to make it amazingly easy to mount an intercooler too. Start using the cogged
step up belts, smaller pulleys and the IC and it'll make some pretty serious power.
ian

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Can anyone recommend a good supercharger for a MK4 VR6? (Daemon42)

So should I hold out to see what comes to market, or am I really limited to the Z charger? I'm also thinking that if the install really will get that complicated, and Matrix holds true to their pricing quotes(3,500) might I be better off going the turbo charged route?

·
Registered
18,556 Posts

I've always hated the "you should wait and see what the competition is going to do"
argument because sometimes it takes months, sometimes years, sometimes never
for a product to come to market. Do you want FI right now or not?
One advantage the Z-eng blower will always have is full support from Garrett.
Vortech blowers have never been officially supported by Garrett so it
seems to take longer to mature. By the time there's a MkIV Vortech
blower available the Z-eng setup will probably be running even better than it is
now. If you buy it now, you'll at least be blown now and the other guys won't.
S/C's also seem to have decent resale value though, if you decide to switch
blowers, or move up to a turbo.
Whether you want a turbo or not is a whole different question. There are
actual reasons I chose a S/C over a turbo (I drive in the snow a lot, being one of them).
You'll just have to decide what you want.
ian

[Modified by Daemon42, 12:47 AM 4-12-2002]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts