VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm somewhat new here, as in I just signed up today, but I was part of this site years ago when I had my previous Jetta's and Golf. Anyways, I just recently picked up this 2012 vw Jetta tdi, it has a dpf delete, EGR delete, stage 2 tune, 3" straight pipe exhaust. I haven't had it in for a safety yet as we are in lockdown and need to make appointments. I've noticed it is leaking oil, there is a bit of pooling of oil under the engine cover on the left side by the engine oil fill cap(not sure if it's from spillage when filling, or from a leak, the oil is to the fill line on the dipstick), however, when looking under the car from the front, I noticed this broken part(thinking it's where the engine and transmission join?). When the car is running, the piece inside is spinning, and I can see there is teeth inside as well. The car runs smooth and drives fine from the minimal amount of driving I have done with it(a couple blocks every few days just to keep things moving) I can do minor things such as brakes, and electrical things like the stereos/speakers and install fog lights etc.., so all the simple things, but I'm not up to date on what all the parts and pieces of the car/engine are. I just drive them. Lol. Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
That area is always open.

Though it shows some signs of previous repair.
Nothing to worry about imo.

——————————-
2014 Jetta 1.8T SE AT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems as though a piece of the transmissions bell housing has cracked off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

——————————-
2014 Jetta 1.8T SE AT
Oh really? It looks as though a piece broke off no? I have no idea tbh.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

——————————-
2014 Jetta 1.8T SE AT
It's always open, yes. But it definitely looks like it's missing a good chunk out of it.

Reactions: SnoopTodd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's always open, yes. But it definitely looks like it's missing a good chunk out of it.
Thank you. I can see where it seems like it would be always open, and yeah there's definitely a good size piece missing. I noticed another thing too. I'm not sure what it is, but it's a piece of aluminum looking tubing that has been cut off on the passenger side behind the front bumper. I'll grab a pic and post it. Hopefully someone can tell me what it was for and what is missing? There's a few unhooked wires on the engine as well. Not sure if it was too do with the ege/dpr delete or if they're an option the car doesn't have. I'll get pics of them. Thanks again for the info everyone. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the other things I'm questioning. The unconnected wire harnesses and the cut tube behind the passenger side front bumper. Any info would be great. Thank you again.
20210515_215425.jpg
20210515_215557.jpg
20210515_215635.jpg
20210515_215656.jpg
20210515_215730.jpg
20210515_215730.jpg
20210515_215656.jpg
20210515_215635.jpg
20210515_215557.jpg
20210515_215425.jpg

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I don't own a TDI so I can't say what the connector is for, but it looks like it may be for the throttle or intake temp sensor.

The line behind the front bumper is an AC line. So if you turn the AC on and it doesn't work that's your issue. It's not hard to replace.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't own a TDI so I can't say what the connector is for, but it looks like it may be for the throttle or intake temp sensor.

The line behind the front bumper is an AC line. So if you turn the AC on and it doesn't work that's your issue. It's not hard to replace.
OK thank you. Weird thing is, I've turned the A/C on and I think it works lol. Maybe it was just cool air though and not actually cold, I'll have to check it again when it's hot out and see. Thank you kindly for the reply.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you. I can see where it seems like it would be always open, and yeah there's definitely a good size piece missing.
Yes that is the transmission bell housing/flywheel inspection hole. It is always open. My guess is that someone inserted a prybar or large screwdriver during a "repair", and ended up breaking off a chunk of the cover. . . Was the timing chain recently serviced? On older, non-Volkswagen engines, some old-school mechanics used this method to block an engine from turning while removing the crankshaft bolt or other components.

Your inspection hole should look similar to this (2006 VW Jetta, just for comparison; I cannot find a good 2012 Jetta underbelly image at the moment):

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
connector up front is for an EGR VALVE That has Been deleted. Cut line is for the A/c system. Connectors on the back left are for DPF pressure sensors that have been deleted as well

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes that is the transmission bell housing/flywheel inspection hole. It is always open. My guess is that someone inserted a prybar or large screwdriver during a "repair", and ended up breaking off a chunk of the cover. . . Was the timing chain recently serviced? On older, non-Volkswagen engines, some old-school mechanics used this method to block an engine from turning while removing the crankshaft bolt or other components.

Your inspection hole should look similar to this (2006 VW Jetta, just for comparison; I cannot find a good 2012 Jetta underbelly image at the moment):
View attachment 90700
The timing was actually done recently yes. Makes sense. Thank you.
The big yellow paint pen “201542” is probably a stock# from a junkyard. It has had some sort of major repair.
Yes I know the engine was replaced. That was disclosed by the seller.
connector up front is for an EGR VALVE That has Been deleted. Cut line is for the A/c system. Connectors on the back left are for DPF pressure sensors that have been deleted as well
OK, I kinda thought that may be what they were for, thanks for confirming. Much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts