VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,644 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (eh)

no. They tried it on mythbusters and couldn't get it to work.

·
Registered
11,620 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (DanG)

I don't even think it's physically possible. Nothing in a cell phone has high enough voltage or current to be physically possible to cause a spark.
Sparks from static electricity due to people going into the car and sittign down and then going back to the pump without grounding themselves first are another matter ...

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (Preppy)

Quote, originally posted by Preppy »
Why take a chance?

because its not true. What about your hot exhaust when you
drive into a gas station? or what about the radio in the car?
What about all the lights at the gas station? wouldn't they
ignite the gas vapours?
If none of these things ignite the vapours, how could a cell phone?
Things that make you go hmm

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Did anyone click the link and read it?
Quote »
Experts at The Petroluum Equipment Institute disagree however, attributing the fire to static electricity. Since 1992 the PEI has documented 158 cases of gas pump fires believed to have been started by static electricity.

·
Registered
6,631 Posts

i'd be more worried about holding a device putting out that sort of signal next to my brain on a repeated basis, but thats me...

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (itchyG60)

Static electricity DOES start fires. However the only way I think a cell phone is going to cause an explosion at a gas station is if you use a cheap exploding replacement battery.
Either way, I'm not going to be the test monkey. I have yet to have a cell phone conversation that couldn't wait.

·
Banned
1,162 Posts

Quote, originally posted by eh »
Did anyone click the link and read it?

Static electricity and gasoline vapors will cause an explosion. When I worked at Texaco we had a bulletin hanging at one of our branches up north. It said that 1 gallon of gasoline vaporized in a confined space had the explosive power of 14 sticks of dynamite. Back in the 80s a Texaco employee was loading toluene and forgot top attach a ground strap to the tanker. A spark from static electricity blew him and a flame 100 feet in the air. When he landed his body was no more than 3 feet long with no arms or legs remaining.
Now you know static from whatever source does kill if all the conditions are right at that particular time.

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (Passssssat)

maybe

Modified by vwjoem at 3:42 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
6,467 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (DanG)

Quote, originally posted by DanG »
no. They tried it on mythbusters and couldn't get it to work.

That the only answer you need, they filled a room with gas. (fine mist) the entire box was cloudy with fuses and gas and it would not light.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (Sawdust)

Quote, originally posted by Sawdust »
That the only answer you need, they filled a room with gas. (fine mist) the entire box was cloudy with fuses and gas and it would not light.

Did they use the correct air to fuel vapour ratio before they attempt to ignite it?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Re: Can Cell Phones Ignite Gasoline Vapors? (dr_spock)

well some stations your see no smoking signs (obviously) and no cell phone signs as well...
even if its not true, there are still a lot of people who wont take chances.. personally i wont have my cell phone on me when i'm pumping gas....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts