VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased some rockford fosgate 3-ways in july, worked fine all summer, but when middle of winter came(0-20 degree nights) the back passenger speaker would crackle untill the car warmed up. (expected) and the back driver side worked fine. now the back driver doesnt work at all. both passenger sides crackle warm or not, and i havent even had them for a year yet. (Warranty, i know)

BUT ****! I'm still catching up with the negligence of the last owner, then this ****.

Anybody with the earlier models ever hear or have this happen to them..Kinda sucks that the most important part of the speaker is closest to the outside.

Plus its not helping my mack game one bit :thumbdown:
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
what i would do is, go outside and check the wiring to the speaker and if you dont find anything i would check the wires on the back of the head unit. if you still find nothing wrong then i would get the old speakers or any other speaker u have laying around and hook them up. that will tell you if its wiring or the speakers themselves

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
to answer your question YES cold temperatures can damage speakers. they become brittle when cold and the excursion will break them. you need to play them on low volume for a little and allow them to warm up. :thumbup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
to answer your question YES cold temperatures can damage speakers. they become brittle when cold and the excursion will break them. you need to play them on low volume for a little and allow them to warm up. :thumbup:
Exactly what he said, the issue I would worry about is the voice coil (which is very small, making it fairly brittle). Hammering on the speakers when cold could cause undue pain to a frigid (depending on temps) brittle voice coil.

·
Banned
4 Posts
I had a set of rockfords in the rear of my old saab that did pretty much the same thing after a cold winter. The temperature variance can kick the crap out of speakers for sure. Also, after my own experience with RF products and watching problems other friends had with them, I'd avoid them in the future anyway. There are much more durable, higher fidelity speakers to be had for pretty much the same money.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meant to mention i checked the wiring, didn't find anything wrong. Guess RF's dont do good in the cold.. Too bad, i love the way the Punch line sounds

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've had multiple sets of Polk speakers in my car and have never had a problem with them. But, the first set of infinity speakers I got are starting to crakle a little now. Just gonna stick with Polk from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.