VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,360 Posts
Keep an eye out for for Autobarn Stables, he’s a 996 guy and he’s always moving them. It’ll be cheaper if it’s not white, but it’ll likely be white.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I commuted for several months in a non turbo 996 on a clutch I had just replaced. It was something of a beater that I really enjoyed, unless I had to take an impassable co-worker to lunch and try to apologize for the musty smell, faded paint, torn leather, radio with no buttons, broken window regulators, etc. But when I put my right toe into the throttle in 2nd gear to redline they would always ask, "Dude, what does something like this go for?"

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,691 Posts
I had to look that one up, and I'm old enough to have actually invented the internet. /s

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
The other thing to consider is that the 996 is an old car with basically no technology. No bluetooth. No satellite radio. No auto headlights. No auto wipers. The auto door lock setup is the most convoluted thing I've experienced (as is the auto down function for the passenger window).
Could you elaborate on this for the commoners like me who have never driven a Porsche?

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
That sounds terrible. I'd get a Tesla with autopilot and think about moving all the time. You can't get driving excitement in congested bull****.
the RS essentially does this. It is nice, but I also view traffic as a mental thing. There is nothign you can do about it so why let it bother you and get you all riled up. It wont increase traffic flow. It wont get me home faster, it will just anger me and make my day worse. Since I can control my emotions, I will, since I cant control traffic, I wont.

·
Registered
8,711 Posts
the RS essentially does this. It is nice, but I also view traffic as a mental thing. There is nothign you can do about it so why let it bother you and get you all riled up. It wont increase traffic flow. It wont get me home faster, it will just anger me and make my day worse. Since I can control my emotions, I will, since I cant control traffic, I wont.
Makes sense to keep calm in traffic, but having an older 911 with a manual transmission and relatively heavy clutch might make it more difficult. Your old GC and current E-Tron seem pretty perfect to me for Chicago commuting. Maybe I'm just an old man, but I prefer having heated / cooled seats, ideally with massaging function, a good audio system, ground clearance and lots of sidewall, tons of sound deadening, smooth torque converter automatic, and the latest tech for the daily grind through the city. Save the sporty stuff for entertaining roads.

·
Registered
42,254 Posts
wouldnt that increase your desire to have a car that excels in that slow-moving-parking-lot environment? like a large self driving couch or something? would be less fun IMO sitting in a car that you know is fun an tossable crawling along at 4mph in traffic for an hour.
i dunno, maybe im just getting old :D

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,710 Posts
Could you elaborate on this for the commoners like me who have never driven a Porsche?
I would hope modern Porsches would be up with the times at this point.

Door lock: You can program it only one of two ways. Hit the unlock button on the remote and both doors unlock at the same time. Or. You can have it set up where only the driver's side door unlocks. If memory serves, even hitting the lock button inside the car won't unlock the passenger door. The only way to unlock the passenger door is by using the inside passenger door handle. There is also no lock mechanism that would allow me to unlock the door from the outside with my key. My 99.5 mkIV and 06 GTI allowed the passenger side to be opened if I tapped the unlock button on the remote twice. I like this this feature quite a bit and it's odd to me that a fairly modern 911 didn't offer it.

Auto down windows: On the driver's side, there is auto up and down regardless of the position of the window. On the passenger side, auto down only operates when the window is past the half down position. WTF? And no, the switch isn't broken nor are there wiring issues, it says as much in the owners manual. Either offer full auto down or don't offer it at all.

There must be some odd German logic at work here and in the end it's not a huge deal, but it is a little annoying.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Can you, yes. We have a guy at work that drove his 996 often enough I would call it daily. As soon as weather turned nice, he drove 4 times a week.

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Even if it did, there is no possible way I can drive one.

Like, legit have been told I cannot.

So yeah.

Appreciate everyone's input, and look forward to hearing more!.
Doesn't Felcher have a Benz store somewhere?

I guess that's still close but no cigar.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,801 Posts
If memory serves, even hitting the lock button inside the car won't unlock the passenger door. The only way to unlock the passenger door is by using the inside passenger door handle.
I think it depends on the current state of the doors; the first press usually locking both and the 2nd press unlocking both. But otherwise, yes, there's lots of weird stuff like that which Porsche seems to deem acceptable on sports cars but not SUVs and sedans.

81 - 100 of 150 Posts