VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
26,303 Posts
The Turbo is kind of an all-weather fast GT car. Heavy, controls are kind of heavy, longish gearing like most Porsches so don't expect it to feel vital/lively in stop and go traffic. They are durable, but they are also ~20 year old Porsches from an era of cost cutting, so don't expect the ownership experience to be perfect. Things like suspension arms and radiator hoses (and there are so, so many hoses) are likely due for a refresh if not done already. People hate on the interiors, but in black it never bothered me in my 986. Terrible shift feel can be fixed with a better shift knob (ditch the plastic core OEM junk) + 987 shift consoler with Phenix Engineering metal bushings. I installed a CarPlay/AA head unit in my car and didn't need anything else for daily life.

My biggest gripe with most 986/987's is the stock (non-Sport) seats. I do not fit them well at all, and find them terribly uncomfortable for drives of >30min. It's a big reason I sold my 986S. YMMV of course. Sport seats are available on the used market, but they are often $$$$.

As with most Porsches, buying the best example you can find will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
the RS essentially does this. It is nice, but I also view traffic as a mental thing. There is nothign you can do about it so why let it bother you and get you all riled up. It wont increase traffic flow. It wont get me home faster, it will just anger me and make my day worse. Since I can control my emotions, I will, since I cant control traffic, I wont.
The RS6 has autopilot?

Idk man, I think having a sports car in heavy congested traffic every day would just make pissed off and angry and depressed.

My point is autopilot will remove the stress of the starting to go, going, slam on the brakes, repeat X infinity of congested bull****.

·
Registered
39,203 Posts
The RS6 has autopilot?

Idk man, I think having a sports car in heavy congested traffic every day would just make pissed off and angry and depressed.

My point is autopilot will remove the stress of the starting to go, going, slam on the brakes, repeat X infinity of congested bull****.
Do you mean adaptive cruise control? Because you just described adaptive cruise control.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The RS6 has autopilot?

The RS6 definitely has an autopilot type system.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,706 Posts
I think it depends on the current state of the doors; the first press usually locking both and the 2nd press unlocking both. But otherwise, yes, there's lots of weird stuff like that which Porsche seems to deem acceptable on sports cars but not SUVs and sedans.
I'll have to look into this closer next time I drive the car. It would seem logical that there would be more than one way to unlock the passenger door regardless of the lock settings you have specified in the PCM.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'd just want an appliance for that commute... model 3 would be perfect, esp with the near telepathic response/100% torque. Makes slicing and dicing heavier traffic a lot more managable, all without making tons of noise.

But really I'd just want to move and not have that commute.

·
Registered
39,203 Posts
I'd just want an appliance for that commute... model 3 would be perfect, esp with the near telepathic response/100% torque. Makes slicing and dicing heavier traffic a lot more managable, all without making tons of noise.

But really I'd just want to move and not have that commute.
Now I'm confused,. Do you want to slice and dice heavy traffic with a powerful electric car, or remove the stress of the starting to go, going, slam on the brakes, repeat X infinity of congested bull**** with a driver's aid?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now I'm confused,. Do you want to slice and dice heavy traffic with a powerful electric car, or remove the stress of the starting to go, going, slam on the brakes, repeat X infinity of congested bull**** with a driver's aid?
It sounds like he wants a Slap Chop, which removes the stress from slicing and dicing.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
If it's super heavy congested and just stop and go crap, auto pilot.

Lighter more medium traffic, electric instant accel without downshifting is kind of cheat mode, as you can get into gaps you wouldn't otherwise be able to (at least without making a ton of noise and looking like an *******)

Just saying for a commuting, nothing beats a model 3 imho.

On a canyon/fun drive, I'd choose other cars for different reasons. YMMV :)

101 - 120 of 150 Posts