VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!!
40,360 Posts
The RS6 has autopilot?

Idk man, I think having a sports car in heavy congested traffic every day would just make pissed off and angry and depressed.
Somehow I’m not surprised you’d be pissed off and angry and depressed. You seem to be easily agitated.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
783 Posts
Phew.. not sure what came over me there! But.. I guess I'm just wondering why you'd want anything other than the RS6 for the commute you've described. Big, comfy, fast, can pretty much do it for you. Sounds like the perfect DD for Chicago traffic.

Reactions: Elite_Deforce

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Ah yes Milwaukee and Madison, the 2 traffic meca's 😂
I don't know about those two cities in particular, but you'd be surprised how bad traffic can be in mid-sized cities in the Midwest. In Detroit, for example, there's no public transit so everyone drives in from the suburbs. The climate here mostly sucks, and all the salt destroys cars, and the roads, which then destroy the cars some more. We have no inspections, and no other way to get around, so there's a ton of janky cars everywhere, which tend to break down and/or crash a lot. The janky cars, combined with a lot of bad weather and perpetual half-ass road construction, can make commuting pretty miserable. Some years the state doesn't buy enough salt, so they just stop treating the roads, and things get really hairy.

In the before times, I commuted 22 miles each way, almost entirely on the interstate. It routinely took 90 minutes in good weather. 2+ hours was common if there was snow and/or an accident or disabled vehicle causing delays. That's probably not as bad as Chicago or a lot places in California, but it's definitely not good.

So, what were we talking about? Commuting in a 20-year old Porsche? Sounds fine to me.

Reactions: ghost03

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Ah yes Milwaukee and Madison, the 2 traffic meca's 😂
They're both pretty bad. One side of madison to the other can take over an hour, because there is only one artery, and it's only 3 lanes wide. Any mistake = everyone is boned. Without traffic it takes barely over 10 minutes.

Milwaukee, again, really depends on where you are going, but a normal 15-20 minute commute can rapidly escalate into 1.5 hours depending on accidents, weather, etc.

Larger cities have traffic too, just more lanes of it, but congested BS is congested BS

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
I'd just want an appliance for that commute... model 3 would be perfect, esp with the near telepathic response/100% torque. Makes slicing and dicing heavier traffic a lot more managable, all without making tons of noise.

But really I'd just want to move and not have that commute.
Except for the horrible interior.

Please buy this shirt:

Link?

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,802 Posts
I don't know about those two cities in particular, but you'd be surprised how bad traffic can be in mid-sized cities in the Midwest. In Detroit, for example, there's no public transit so everyone drives in from the suburbs. The climate here mostly sucks, and all the salt destroys cars, and the roads, which then destroy the cars some more. We have no inspections, and no other way to get around, so there's a ton of janky cars everywhere, which tend to break down and/or crash a lot. The janky cars, combined with a lot of bad weather and perpetual half-ass road construction, can make commuting pretty miserable. Some years the state doesn't buy enough salt, so they just stop treating the roads, and things get really hairy.

In the before times, I commuted 22 miles each way, almost entirely on the interstate. It routinely took 90 minutes in good weather. 2+ hours was common if there was snow and/or an accident or disabled vehicle causing delays. That's probably not as bad as Chicago or a lot places in California, but it's definitely not good.

So, what were we talking about? Commuting in a 20-year old Porsche? Sounds fine to me.
QFT. Traffic isn't really dependent on the population or even the density. It's dependent on the number of people that want to drive vs the number of roads you have. Around here the highways and city streets where lots of people live are totally fine, but the suburban areas--where there's no bus service and everybody has a RAM 2500 in case they need a bag of mulch--are outrageous.

Take NYC vs LA--the former is bigger and denser, and while traffic isn't great, it's nowhere near as bad as LA. All that car culture is a double edged sword. 🍺

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
I have had mine for almost 7 years now and enjoy it very much, too much to use for daily use. The 997tt offers a better every day usability over the 996tt but the 997tt issues can be a bit more money here and there.

A twenty year old 996tt is much like a Corrado....parts are getting super expensive, some times hard to find or limited options. I do all of my own work and help a couple friends with theirs as being one of the local New England experts. Buddy just got one that flew through a Porsche shop with a great PPI....boost hose was off of the turbo and they didnt even notice. With them being old now they are closer to Shannons level of nightmares than they are a Toyota reliable car.

A couple big costly things that can sink your wallet, first being the gear box issues with 2nd gear. 03's got an update in the assembly process to remedy this but the real solution is the steel syncro/gt2 main shaft which quickly gets you into a 10k gearbox build.

Coolant hoses are expensive and many need to be replaced at this juncture, so if you are going in to do the coolant fittings the hoses should be done along with all the power steering lines/seals as these are a fire hazard. Of course there are 3 radiators in the front which just about every car if they have not been done in the past 5 years need to be done.

Common things are:
Spoiler rams leaking, window regulators failing, worn suspension bushings or worn subframes from hacked alignments. The motors are tough but have their small potential issues like boost leaks from old hoses, bad intercoolers/check valves. Front differentials on many cars are shot from wrong sized tires which then sends you down that rabbit hole which can be fun but ruins resale value as does converting to the GT2 slave as most people that buy these cars cannot stand a heavy clutch. The assisted clutch slaves are a consumable at this point, they tend to fail more often from lack of use than being used. Tire life is poor, 8-10k on a set is great life.

Personally I enjoy driving my 996tt more than my 997tt, but my 996tt is well past what a 996 GT2 is at this juncture so other than sharing similar motors and drivetrains they are different animals.

Another thing to watch for is modified cars that were returned to stock due to a hurt motor or gear box, lots of people put hybrid fast spooling turbos on them but this is a common killer of rods and thrashed gear box parts due to the 996tt not having a cooler on the transmission. Another common mod is mafless then convert back after turning back to "stock", this is common with a number of cars as 996tts were like Supras of the old and everyone had tunes,turbos, intercoolers headers ect.

Would I buy another 996tt for 50k, yes without issue. However having years of experience and spare parts does make for a easier ownership, I have seen several friends dodge very expensive ownership with short term use, sort of at this point many cars are passing the hot potato around until someone finally gets their wallet burned.

For 50k and daily use in traffic I would lean more towards a S5 or V8 Vantage in my opinion after having put close to 35k miles on my 996 and 20k on my 997tt mostly driving to and from work in the summer months on twisty back roads. I daily my Saab or my Tundra these days.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
783 Posts
QFT. Traffic isn't really dependent on the population or even the density. It's dependent on the number of people that want to drive vs the number of roads you have. Around here the highways and city streets where lots of people live are totally fine, but the suburban areas--where there's no bus service and everybody has a RAM 2500 in case they need a bag of mulch--are outrageous.

Take NYC vs LA--the former is bigger and denser, and while traffic isn't great, it's nowhere near as bad as LA. All that car culture is a double edged sword. 🍺
FWIW.. Business Route 22 through Monroeville PA is busier per capita than the Las Vegas strip. Monroeville has 607,086 less people.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,802 Posts
FWIW.. Business Route 22 through Monroeville PA is busier per capita than the Las Vegas strip. Monroeville has 607,086 less people.
And to make it worse, adding more lanes adds more incentive to drive. I've seen studies that say increasing throughput doesn't do anything to traffic. :oops:

·
Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast!
2021 RS6 Avant, 2019 Audi eTron, 2010 A6 Avant, 2002 Chevy 2500, 1988 16v Scircco
10,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I have had mine for almost 7 years now and enjoy it very much, too much to use for daily use. The 997tt offers a better every day usability over the 996tt but the 997tt issues can be a bit more money here and there.

A twenty year old 996tt is much like a Corrado....parts are getting super expensive, some times hard to find or limited options. I do all of my own work and help a couple friends with theirs as being one of the local New England experts. Buddy just got one that flew through a Porsche shop with a great PPI....boost hose was off of the turbo and they didnt even notice. With them being old now they are closer to Shannons level of nightmares than they are a Toyota reliable car.

A couple big costly things that can sink your wallet, first being the gear box issues with 2nd gear. 03's got an update in the assembly process to remedy this but the real solution is the steel syncro/gt2 main shaft which quickly gets you into a 10k gearbox build.

Coolant hoses are expensive and many need to be replaced at this juncture, so if you are going in to do the coolant fittings the hoses should be done along with all the power steering lines/seals as these are a fire hazard. Of course there are 3 radiators in the front which just about every car if they have not been done in the past 5 years need to be done.

Common things are:
Spoiler rams leaking, window regulators failing, worn suspension bushings or worn subframes from hacked alignments. The motors are tough but have their small potential issues like boost leaks from old hoses, bad intercoolers/check valves. Front differentials on many cars are shot from wrong sized tires which then sends you down that rabbit hole which can be fun but ruins resale value as does converting to the GT2 slave as most people that buy these cars cannot stand a heavy clutch. The assisted clutch slaves are a consumable at this point, they tend to fail more often from lack of use than being used. Tire life is poor, 8-10k on a set is great life.

Personally I enjoy driving my 996tt more than my 997tt, but my 996tt is well past what a 996 GT2 is at this juncture so other than sharing similar motors and drivetrains they are different animals.

Another thing to watch for is modified cars that were returned to stock due to a hurt motor or gear box, lots of people put hybrid fast spooling turbos on them but this is a common killer of rods and thrashed gear box parts due to the 996tt not having a cooler on the transmission. Another common mod is mafless then convert back after turning back to "stock", this is common with a number of cars as 996tts were like Supras of the old and everyone had tunes,turbos, intercoolers headers ect.

Would I buy another 996tt for 50k, yes without issue. However having years of experience and spare parts does make for a easier ownership, I have seen several friends dodge very expensive ownership with short term use, sort of at this point many cars are passing the hot potato around until someone finally gets their wallet burned.

For 50k and daily use in traffic I would lean more towards a S5 or V8 Vantage in my opinion after having put close to 35k miles on my 996 and 20k on my 997tt mostly driving to and from work in the summer months on twisty back roads. I daily my Saab or my Tundra these days.
Thank you for such an insightful, meaningful post.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts