VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i heard from this kid in school today that by not using a high quality amp it can fry the voice coil...i dont' have that great of an amp is this somethign i should b concered about...its not underpowered or overpowered btw

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Re: Can i Fry the voice coil on a W7? (burtonguy567)

Quote, originally posted by burtonguy567 »
ne1 else have opinions?

a cheap amp is more likely to have an internal failure and send DC current to the sub than a higher quality amp, but aside from that as long as you stay within the limits of reasonable operation you won't fry the sub.

· Registered
3,114 Posts

i don't really know how concerned you should be about this.... 'quality' is all relative.... if you have the money for a w7 i would doubt you would be attachign it to some wallmart amp.... you don't have to spend lots of money to get a 'quality' amp...
what's going ot fry you voice coil will be clipping in the high power ranges... that being said... just make sure your not over driving your amp

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Can i Fry the voice coil on a W7? (flashback)

i got the 12 W7 for $275 brand new in the box from a friend that dind't want it and just wanted to get rid of it...im a 16 year old on a budget...i bought a Kole Audio 2 channel 980 Watt amp off a guy i worked with for $110...that being said, does that make ne difference now? and when u say overdriving my amp u mean trying to get more power to the sub then what the amp can produce therefor frying the amp? and what do u consider reasonable opperation?

· Banned
6,208 Posts

Quote, originally posted by flashback »

what's going to fry you voice coil will be clipping in the high power ranges

agreed

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Can i Fry the voice coil on a W7? (Enfig Motorsport)

how high are u talking about? im relativley new to audio i know the basics of hooking it up correctly but how high are u guys talking about(wattage)

· Registered
3,114 Posts
Re: Can i Fry the voice coil on a W7? (Enfig Motorsport)

kole audio is definitely one of the not-so-good quality amps.... however i do understand the situation your in... i was there a couple years ago... your just going to have to be careful... your amp(concisdering jl's 3ohm impedence) is going to blow if your attempt to run it bridged... and if you run it off just one channel your not going to get any more than i'm guestimating ~240watts rms.... and i'm being optimistic with that...... and that is severely underpowering that w7..... you need to first understand that your sub is not going to get loud... and most importantly... turning up the gain onyour amp to make it seem loud is NOT a good thing and WILL fry you sub....
depending on the size of your w7... most people get the most desireable output ~700rms for the 10, ~1k for the 12"... and yes those are out of jl's specs... but thats just second hand information i've picked up from elitecaraudio.com(great site you should check out).... my best advice to you is take it easy on your amp and sub for now and start saving up till you can buy a more competent amp.... and again... DO NOT BRIDGE YOUR AMP ONTO THAT SUB.... BAD BAD

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

the 10 W7 is 500RMS the 12 W7 is 750 RMS...i have the 12...rite now i do have it bridged, it sounds fine and it is loud and does not sound distorted...JL says the minimun for the 12 W7 should b around 400-450 watts RMS...so if i ran it off one channel would that be about 490 watts RMS since its a 980 watt amp? sry if i sounds stupid but like i said im pretty new to audio

· Registered
3,114 Posts

sorry to break it to you, but your amp isn't a 980 wat amp.... that is a 'max' rating which means nothing at all... your amp claims to do ~240watts rms into each channel or ~560watts rms bridged into one.... and if you research the brand of amp you have you'll find out those # are going to be moderately to significantly overrated....
GET THAT SUB OFF OF YOUR AMP BRIDGED, YOUR AMP DOES NOT SUPPORT A 3OHM LOAD BRIDGED... its only a matter of time before your amp fries and you may experience something simliar to what 2.ohh mentioned early which will = fried sub.... right now, realistically your sub is probably getting ~500 rms watts bridged(again, thats being optimistic).... which may sound alright... but the w7 is a sub you'll be very satisfied with when you see what it can do with extra power.... again... read arround and discover this for yourself......

and please don't feel like i'm bashing your amp.... i'm just providing you with facts

· Registered
1,042 Posts

what about audiobahn...they sell a 800 watt 2 channel amp that is 800 watts bridged at 4 ohm http://www.woofersetc.com/inde...D=108 .......i went on JL's site and read deep into the voice coil section and they said u can run the sub at 2,3,or 4 ohm and still b safe...

You can't vary the resistance (ohms) on a sub unless it's dual voice coil (which your W7 is not)- Resistance is created by the speaker, and the amp must run at the corresponding load. So when you buy an amp to power a W7, you need to be sure it's stable at 3 ohms, which all amps may not be. I just picked up a 12W7 and a JBL BP1200.1, which is a good budget amp and is stable down to 1 ohm (should do ~750w rms @3ohms, if I'm lucky).

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Can i Fry the voice coil on a W7? (Case)

but JL themselves say u can run it at 2 or 4 ohms and ofcoarse 3...what would b wrong with this amp now(audiobahn), im startin not to like this audio stuff lol

Modified by burtonguy567 at 7:27 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
7,497 Posts

You can combine mutiple subs to make varrying ohm loads. That is how they get 2, 3, and 4 ohm loads.
I personally would run an amp that is a monoblock class D amp. That is one channel and a bunch of power. You can get a good one for about $300.

· Registered
1,042 Posts

but JL themselves say u can run it at 2 or 4 ohms and ofcoarse 3...what would b wrong with this amp now(audiobahn), im startin not to like this audio stuff lol

Modified by burtonguy567 at 7:27 PM 9-8-2005

It doesn't sound to me like you understand how resistance/loads work- you should read some of the tutorials and FAQs at http://forum.sounddomain.com - they have great forums dedicated to each category of car audio.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.