VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some Mintex pads but I don't really need a sensor on them because I visually inspect my pads every few weeks so I don't need a light on the dash to tell me it's time to change them. But I also don't want that light to stay on all the time because it's missing the connection for the pads. So my question is this... can you short the plug so the brake light on the dash stays off?
-Erik

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Can I get pads without the wear sensors for a Golf 1.8T? (vw_fiend)

I believe you can. You must use a resistor between the two wires. Take a ohm-meter and test the resistance of a not worn out pad wear sensor and install the same resistance between the wires. That should work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Re: Can I get pads without the wear sensors for a Golf 1.8T? (vw_fiend)

Sorry, I just found out that there is no resistance to be added. All you have to do is cut off the connector and connect the two wires.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yep, basically the wear sensor wire is cut when the pad is worn to the wire point.
The trick way is to either...
cut the connector off the factory pads and connect the two wires, then heat shrink the connection.
or
cut the connector off the factory pads and pop one of the pins, add a pin to the wire remaining re-insert the new pin.
Either way you are maintaining that loop and you still have the option to reverse this.
Hope that Helps.
Matt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts