VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the automatic door locking system on my Golf can be reprogrammed so that it doesn't
lock the car when I approach 10mph. I was wondering if there was a way to program the system to
allow me to lock the car with the engine running?
In my job, I have several stops that require me to be away from my car for only a couple of
minutes, but I would prefer to let it keep running while I'm away. I would like to use the valet key in
the ignition while using the key fob remote to lock/unlock the car from the outside. Right now, I
can't do this. Any ideas?
Jeff (49.5K miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Re: Can I lock my car with the engine running? (K5ING)

you can lock and alarm the car w/ a turbo timer. (and the car will still be running)
some turbo timers go for 9 minutes (i *think*)
how about getting one where you set it to the max time.. and it'll still be running when you get back. anyone could just bust your window if the keys are in it. and be gone pretty quickly.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: Can I lock my car with the engine running? (flipp)

You can take two keys with you....leave a key in the ignition and then take the second key and lock the doors ( you must put the key in the key hole to lock the doors...the remote will not work while the car is running)........I have donr it multiple times.....or you can get a turbo timer and it can do the same thing...except without the key in the ignition...

[Modified by drm916, 7:54 AM 11-29-2001]

·
Registered
634 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] In my job, I have several stops that require me to be away from my car for only a couple of
minutes,[HR][/HR]​
Let's hear it for the pizza drivers of America!!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Can I lock my car with the engine running? (drm916)

I thought I might be a simple matter of being able to reprogram the system. I thought
I had tried every combination (including using the valet key in the door), but I'll try it
again to be sure. Short of opening the hatch, locking the car, and throwing my keys
inside and shutting the hatch, I didn't think there was any way to lock the keys inside.
Pizza driver? Naw. I spend 8 hours a day and 400 miles a day in rural Oklahoma
delivering medicine and picking up lab samples for analysis in Dallas. Pizza would
smell much better and put fewer miles on my Golf

Jeff (49.5K miles since 5/1/01 and climbing!)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Why keep it running. It doesn't use fuel when it's OFF

It was the old carburated cars that used extra fuel to start, not your TDI

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Can I lock my car with the engine running? (Green-Golf)

I will put less wear and tear on my engine/starter/misc stuff (and produce less pollution
I suspect) if I let it idle for 2 minutes rather than to turn it off and then back on again.
One less use of the starter, glowplugs, etc. Besides, some of my stops are made right
from the freeway where I've been driving at sustained high speed. I'd have to sit for a
couple of minutes letting the turbo cool down anyway. I could be making my pickup in
that time if I didn't mind letting the car sit unlocked and running while I'm inside.
BTW, I tried the key-in-the-door and it works. I thought I had tried it before, but I
think I just tried turning it left (unlock).
D'oh!

·
Registered
22,720 Posts

{edit for stupidity} I read the original thread and answered my question.
hehe OPPS

[Modified by landrumdh, 10:44 PM 11-29-2001]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts