VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have this engine and im gonna run it into the ground anyway, so id like to take the turbo setup off this 84 TD jetta i have. it looks like the manafolds bolt right up, but is there alot more involved? is it even worth while? i dont have alotta money to dump on this engine so just an idea for cheap short-term power. thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: can i put a diesel turbo on my JH? (rabidroco)

Not really worthwhile.
The turbodiesel engine is 1.6L and turns a maximum of about 5000 RPMs. Also, because of the way diesels work, they tend to build boost at fairly low RPM's.
Your JH engine is 1.8L and probably spins up to 7000 RPM's (maybe a little less, maybe a little more depending on your setup). That basically means that you will be pushing at least 50% more exhaust through the manifold and turbo than the turbo diesel engine. The turbine and the downpipe and even the turbodiesel manifold will be quite restrictive when you try to push that amount of exhaust flow through the system. Also, because of the increased displacement, the turbo will build boost with 10%-15% slower engine speeds than it does in the diesel. You will be hitting boost just off idle with that setup, and running into severe exhaust restriction by 4000 RPMs. That's not what you really want for your gas engine.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts

Velocity did a 2.0 crossflow head mit Electromotive TEC 2 Management and a diesel manifold and turbo with clipped vanes on the exhaust turbine and turned 260 at the wheels! Traction was so bad they turned it down to 240. Yes it will work.

·
Registered
6,303 Posts

There is a good thread about using the TD stuff on a gas car floating around somewhere in the FI forum, I looked but couldn't find it for you. I know its here though...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.