VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could I remove the VC and place a solid shaft in its place? would this give me full time 4 wheel drive? how would adding a LSD to the rear or both front and rear affect it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (all-starr-me)

I've been thinking about doing the same thing, machining a solid coupler. I believe it might be a problem though because the gear unit may not be able to handle constant duty.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (vw2porsche)

exactly, this might work for off road use a bit, but a nightmaher on pavement

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (all-starr-me)

it would be hard to turn. just like a 5000TQ with the center diff locked. great when sliding. bad when trying to turn at low speeds, it doesnt want to!! you need a diff of some sort.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (epjetta)

BTW I love that sig http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (rallyebmx)

Would doing this be ok if you put in a LSD in the rear? Or would you still have the rear diff breaking? What is the gears were cryo treated?
Kevin

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (Optimus234)

Nah, the system wasn't designed to see that much rear action-Peloquin or not. Plus stress on the prop shafts. It would handle so poorly on pavement. I think I remember hearing through the grapevine that VWMS had a solid coupler some of the time on their motor sport rallyes. Maybe someone can chime in on that?....

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

would this work better with a haldex rear end? or should I just take the V8 quattro apart at the junk yard and start from there?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

You cant use just the rear-its all or nothing. As for the quattro...dunno

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (rallyebmx)

I've seen a car made just rear wheel drive with haldex, now how much HP would that support?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts

Man, dont know-never heard of that. But ya figure the rear end designed for partial drive will now take it all. My guess would be "not much"

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

in an old quattro you can lock center or rear. but its only good on loose surfaces. lots of fun in the snow!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

The system was designed to use that VC and if you use something solid in it's place, you're asking for problems, esp on asphalt or any other surface that has high traction. I wouldn't do it myself, there are a few guys here who have and I know of at least 2 people ruining their rear diffs doing that. Not worth it at all....

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rallyebmx »
I think I remember hearing through the grapevine that VWMS had a solid coupler some of the time on their motor sport rallyes. Maybe someone can chime in on that?....

My VWMS drivetrain still has a VC, although it is a little more agressive

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (xpalendocious)

My first question is VWMS driveline? WTF-crazy explain!!! I was was talking about specific instances when the team would actually run a solid coupler on the rallye. Siht, they didn't even race the rallye did they? I guess it would be for that rallye sales video or some siht, which i'm sure most of us have seen.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

My first question is VWMS driveline? WTF-crazy explain!!! I was was talking about specific instances when the team would actually run a solid coupler on the rallye. Siht, they didn't even race the rallye did they? I guess it would be for that rallye sales video or some siht, which i'm sure most of us have seen.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (xpalendocious)

Afraid that doesnt do me much good. How is that a VWMS driveline? Is there a story/history/specific parts etc?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts

Someone here has a pic of a VWMS syncro driveline, and there are some specific things that make it stand out. One thing is that it didn't use flex couplers, but regular CV joints in place of the flex couplers.
A solid substitution for the VC would only be even thinkable on dirt roads, and even then preferrably muddy ones. It would be totally wrong and very hard on the rear diff to take that kind of abuse on paved high traction roads.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Re: Can I replace the Viscous coupler on a synchro with a solid shaft? (swingwing205)

So is that just a syncro set up above then? I'm sure the only way to know if the solid coupler was true was to ask someone that was there I guess- but who cares?

·
Registered
9,262 Posts

Afraid that doesnt do me much good. How is that a VWMS driveline? Is there a story/history/specific parts etc?

notice the 6 speed end case? it is a VWMS peice, and the diffs are more agresive

1 - 20 of 23 Posts