VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,426 Posts
wait i may have said something stupid... the knock sensor may not use a reference voltage at all... the knock sensor is a piezoelectric device, meaning it produces electric current with vibration. the more vibration it experiences the higher the voltage is produces. It may use a reference voltage of some sort, i'm not positive, but the sensor itself will create its own when the engine is running.

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: (Scarab_Beetle)

The knock sensors do use ground for a voltage reference. they can generate more than 12V because as stated earlier It creates it's own voltage most likely based on an internal inductor and magnet (similar to a microphone). Raising the reference voltage would hurt performance, because the ecu reads the signal and the ecu is still referenced to ground. So it would read a higher knock voltage and retard your timing.

Modified by MaxedOutCredit at 5:18 PM 9-8-2005

Modified by MaxedOutCredit at 5:20 PM 9-8-2005

· Registered
1,623 Posts
Re: (TomRitt)

Quote, originally posted by TomRitt »
Ahh damn, i geuss that wont work, my ecu doesnt use a knock sensor so it wont do anything performance wise in my case, maybe I'l jsut watch it with a voltmeter

Oh in that case just hook a potentometer (10k or 20k ohms should be good) One terminal to 12V and the opposite terminal to ground. Adjust it till you have your 5V at the center terminal on the potentiometer. Hook the ground lead of the knock sensor to the pot center tap and you will have a 5V reference signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.