VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to get off my old downpipe and its becoming a real challenge.. It looks asif i can only get it off if i take off my front sway bar..
now i havent ever done this before.. will it be safe to take it off while the car is on jackstands that are on the front axil peices?(dont know what there actually called)
?? I dont feel like crushing myself today

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Re: Can i safely take off my front sway bar when the car is being held by jackstands? (StinkyFatPig)

im pretty sure it could, i did mine on jackstands, i actually took off both control arms since i couldnt get the dang bar off, takes a lot of effort to put it back on though

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think control arms is the word im looking for when i said axel's.. Its not jacked on the Drive axles..
I think i can fit it on if i just drop the middle a few inchs.. so not completly take off the bar....
is there alot of spring in those i should watch out for?

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Re: (StinkyFatPig)

well i put the entire thing on with the control arms and it took quite a while all by myself. thers a good amount

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Re: (grayfox)

personally i like to put the jack stands on the small sections on the underbody that look like a frame piece right behind where the swaybar mounts to the body. if you put the stands there you can take out the swaybar without any problems or worries. there shouldnt be any dangerous amount of tension on the sway bar even if the stands are under the control arms, it would just be harder to install. HTH

·
Registered
620 Posts
Re: (8716vrocco)

it takes me about 5 minutes to get the front swaybar off..... and about the same to put it back on.... Never had any problems of having to take off the axels, or control arms..... All you should have to do is unbolt it, pull it off, then bolt it back on.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Re: (Beowulf-X)

Lift the car untill the wheels don't touch the ground anymore. undo all bolts to take off the bar. to install it back, mount the rear brackets loosely and let the bar hang on top of the lower control arms. lower the car slightly till you can attach the bar brackets to the arms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts