VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lowered 86 scriocco that has a Jamex suspension kit on it. It's very low and the dampners are shot because it kind of floats and bounces. Well it should be sold pretty soon and I was thinking about swapping the springs with my 86 cabriolet since I'm going to work out a sale including two replacement shocks for the front of the rocco or money off for someone to buy them and while the shocks are getting put in I figured I could switch the springs since I want to lower the cabriolet and whoever buys the rocco probably won't care if it's lowered or not. Will they work and do you think that the springs could be worn out. I don't think too highly of the Jamex stuff but don't know too much about them.
Thanks for any help

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Re: Can I swap the springs on my two cars and would it be a good idea? (alteregovw)

U can swap, but u will sit a little bit lower than what u do in the 8v rocco. I have jamex springs on my cabby. I took them off my friends car, he had a rabbit. I got them w/ under 100 miles on them, caus eafter he bought them, he parked the car and ripped it apart to build it, and bought coilovers, so his lose was my gain. The cabby sits lower than the rabbit did. I don't think they made them strong enough to support the cabby's added weight.
to further explain this, i was looking in a spring catalog @ the shop. The springs for 16v rocco and cabbys had same part number. Springs for rabbits and 8v rocco were different.
hth
sails

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can I swap the springs on my two cars and would it be a good idea? (vw16vcabby)

Ok, so they will fit from my 8v rocco to my rabbit but it will sit lower than the rocco does?? You said that the 16v and the cabby have the same part # for the springs which is just for the spring rate but the fitment isn't any different? Man that will be LOW!! I had to roll the fenders on the rocco and I'm running 50 series 15" tires.
The cabby has new dampners on the front but will they last long at all with those springs?

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: Can I swap the springs on my two cars and would it be a good idea? (alteregovw)

When you install shorter springs, you also need to use a shorter shock. The reason why is the amount of shock travel. If you use a shock originally designed for a long spring with a shorter spring, then the "bump" travel is reduced, and at some point due to road conditions, your car will compress the spring until the shock is bottomed.
When you buy a suspension upgrade, always ask about the amount of shock travel. In most cases, to get a shock matched for a shorter spring, the strut tube must be also shortened and rethreaded to accept the shorter shock. You might think a shorter shock is worse but the static, uncompressed length of a shorter shock rod allows more "bump" travel than a longer shock mounted with the shorter spring. Regards, WWR.
To answer your question, you can use your current shocks but their life will be about what you have experienced on the Scirocco.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts