VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says. I think my car is too far advanced, and want to retard it. What is the stock timing suppose to be?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Re: can some one show me exactly where the timing marks are?? (saved_GLX)

that possibly the hardest thing to take a photo of while still in the car. better hope someone has some flywheels sitting around. you should be looking for a little dimple with a line to the left of it. the line is 0 degrees TDC and the dimple is O degree cyclinder 1. If anyone reads this and I'm incorrect, please email me and i will edit this post ASAP. email: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Re: can some one show me exactly where the timing marks are?? (saved_GLX)

On the PF there's a slash on the top of the innermost lip of the harmonic balancer, that should line up with an arrow that's moulded into the lower pulley cover at 12 'o' clock. The cam pulley has a slash on the viewable side of the pulley which lines up with an arrow moulded on the plastic shield that the upper pulley cover clips to. Without removing the distributor, the rotor should line up with a slash mark at roughly 1 'o' clock on the outer rim of the distributor body, at TDC.
EDIT. You want to first find out if you have too much static advance... line up the marks, or, too much ignition advance. You really need a timing light to check the latter, thru the hole in the trans case.

[Modified by lotus7, 3:02 PM 11-27-2001]

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: can some one show me exactly where the timing marks are?? (lotus7)

But what if I don't have the timing belt cover? I mean, I timing belt is exposed. I've tired looking before but couldn't find the marks. Maybe I need to look harder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.