VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm trying to integrate my new purchase (amp and subwoofer) into my current monsoon system. i have a 2002 vw gti 1.8T. here's what i've come up with.
my problem is this: it looks like because of the way i'm wiring my mid speakers (factory speakers) i've reduced the connection to 2 ohms per speaker. but i'm not sure if these speakers can handle this. in fact, i'm pretty sure they can't.
i'm using the wiring that already exists - the wires that are already running to the factory speakers because i don't want to rewire that whole mess. and because i've got a 4 channel amp, i'm trying to put 4 speakers in to 2 channels by wiring the 2 speakers together in to the same channel, thus making 2 ohms (??)
does anyone see anything wrong with this? am i right in thinking that i may blow my speakers wiring them this way? any suggestions?
thanks for your help.

http://www.geocities.com/thedawg90210/index.html

[Modified by biggierock, 4:37 PM 5-31-2002]

[Modified by biggierock, 4:38 PM 5-31-2002]

[Modified by biggierock, 4:39 PM 5-31-2002]

[Modified by biggierock, 4:39 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re: can someone check this wiring diagram please?! :) (biggierock)

Well, you will blow your speakers running it like that, you will need to get 4 Passive Crossovers for your tweeters, and a wiring diagram for the car, with the monsoon, you need to cut the wires going to the factory amp, and wire into your amp (this works, Its done in my car, everythings perfect) then you should buy a 2 Channel amp for your sub(s) this way your not running 2 Ohms...the wiring diagram for you car can be picked up at your local dealership, which would be more than happy to print one out for you...after you wire up your speakers and all, you can remove the factory amp (it does nothing)...hope this helps you out
Also, are you running an aftermarket HU ???

[Modified by Rammstein, 4:35 PM 5-31-2002]

·
Registered
13,384 Posts

Not really seeing most amps are stable into 2 Ohms, just as long as you are not bridging the channels into 2 Ohms. You need to make sure your amp is 2 Ohm stable. i.e. the specs will say something like this
????Watts x 4 @ 4 Ohms
????Watts x 4 @ 2 Ohms
????Watts x 2 @ 4 Ohms
Usally that dictates that it is 2 Ohms stable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: can someone check this wiring diagram please?! :) (Rammstein)

the only problem is, it's a lease, so i want to be able to return it to factory condition. also, why would i buy 4 passive crossovers for my tweeters? is there something wrong with running them from the monsoon?

·
Registered
127 Posts

If you don't put crossovers in, you will blow your tweeters, when you use the factory wiring, and an aftermarket amp, the monsoon amp is not used, so therefore, no crossover.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

but i'm not using the new amp for the tweeters, just the monsoon amp only. and it has internal crossovers. therefore the only signal going to the tweeters is the high signal. the low/mid signal is coming out of the monsoon the normal way, but i'm splicing into that and going into my new amp, then going to the mid speakers.
but you're right about the mids. i'm going to blow them running them 2 ohms. i should probably get another amp, or just run 2 of the speakers at 4 ohms instead of 4 at 2 ohms.

·
Registered
116 Posts

running a 2 ohm load into your 4ohm speakers will work.. it will sound bad, but it will work.

·
Registered
127 Posts

ok, now I see what your doing, I thought you were dumping the monsoon amp altogether, yeah, that will work fine.

·
Registered
13,384 Posts
Re: can someone check this wiring diagram please?! :) (illstyle)

quote:[HR][/HR]running a 2 ohm load into your 4ohm speakers will work.. it will sound bad, but it will work.[HR][/HR]​

???????????????? You don't run Ohm loads into anything.

·
Registered
441 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Rammstein »
(this works, Its done in my car, everythings perfect)
[Modified by Rammstein, 4:35 PM 5-31-2002]

Please explain!!! HOW!! DIAGRAM PLEASE

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Re: can someone check this wiring diagram please?! :) (Non_Affiliated)

wow, talk about back from the dead.
Quote, originally posted by Non_Affiliated »
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>running a 2 ohm load into your 4ohm speakers will work.. it will sound bad, but it will work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

???????????????? You don't run Ohm loads into anything.

i saw that, and i was like, how did i miss that!?! oh, right, 2002

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.