VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new rear oil slinger for the transfer case on my '97 wrangler but all the ones online look different than what I find online. The dealer has the part at $28 vs the $8 that it goes for online so can anyone verify that the part will actually fit?

This is the one that I can easily find online

The one that came out of my transfer case is round and doesn't have the two tabs that the one above has.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That picture isn't a slinger, it's the dust cover on the rear output yoke. Now what the part number actually is, who knows.

I can't think of where a slinger is in a 231. You sure there is one?

Number 6 on that callout but ended up going to the dealer and apparently that linked one superseded the one I had on mine. I've yet to put it all together though so we'll see. Still trying to source one of the retainer rings for the output shaft

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Weird it's called a slinger being on the outside of the oil seal. Sorry for the bad info.

A lot of guys change out the tail to a slip yoke eliminator for better driveshaft angles, if there's a 4WD club near you, find somebody who's just done an SYE, and they'll have that retaining ring (#7) in their pile of leftover parts.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird it's called a slinger being on the outside of the oil seal. Sorry for the bad info.

A lot of guys change out the tail to a slip yoke eliminator for better driveshaft angles, if there's a 4WD club near you, find somebody who's just done an SYE, and they'll have that retaining ring (#7) in their pile of leftover parts.
Hey no worries at all man, and the ring I'm looking for is actually closer in size if not identical to #2 in the callout, just not a snap ring and it's solid all the way through. Checked with my local jeep expert and he never stocked the part either :D :banghead:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts