VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing the 1.8 16v from my donor Scirocco into my 83 GTI. I have the engine pulled. The GTI never had an engine, but the wiring was all there, and is still in the car. The wiring harness thing is making me nuts. I've got all of the wiring in the engine bay of the GTI draped over the left side of the car. The thing that is making me crazy is the wiring under the dash coming out of the fuse box. I need to remove the entire fuse box right? What about all of the crazy braids of wiring going up under the dash towards the guage cluster, and all of that nonsense. It looks like a confusing mess! Everyone always says it's so easy to swap this engine, but the wiring seems the furthest thing from easy. I don't know what to leave in the GTI as far as wiring goes, and what to take out? Can someone help me?? Is there any way other way around this?? Thanks much!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: Can somone help me please with my 16v swap before I loose my mind!! (GolfFanatic2)

I've got a wiring diagram that will help you out:

This will help you splice in the knock box. You do not have to remove the entire wiring harness if you don't want to.
Take your time, have both Bentley manuals at your side. Are the plugs on the Scirocco harnes marked or labeled as to where they go?
Its not difficult just time consuming. if you can plug back in your GTI harness with little difficulty i'd suggest doing that and then work from the firewall forward and not mess with the interior.
hope that helps some. I'm sure some other guys will chime in with support.
good luck,
Chris
'83 Caddy16v

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can somone help me please with my 16v swap before I loose my mind!! (83caddy16v)

Neither harness has been removed from either car. Can i just splice in a knock sensor with the original GTI harness as it is now, and use the 16v fuel distributer? Or do i have to get an original 8v fuel distributer to use a knock sensor? This is were i get confused....Also, where can you buy a knock sensor set up?

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Re: Can somone help me please with my 16v swap before I loose my mind!! (GolfFanatic2)

going from memory and some very old notes here but this should get you going in the right direction
yes, you can splice in the knock sensor and ecu to the GTI harness. just drop in the Scirocco fuel setup. You'll need the 16v's coil. Do you have a complete donor 16v Scirocco? if so, just pull the knock sensor module and ecu from it. You can pickup a new knock sensor from the dealer if there is something wrong with the donor's.
Control Module Terminals
GTI:
1 - coil terminal 1 - green
2 - ground at cylinder head - brown
3 - distributor (neg.)
4 - coil (terminal 15) black
5 - Distributor (pos)
6 - Distributor ( 0 )
7 - not used
16v Scirocco
1 - Coil (Terminal 1 ) green
2 - Ground at battery (brown
3 - Not used
4 - Coil (Terminal 15) Black
5 - Not Used
6 - Knock Sensor - Pin 12 (Grn/wht)
7 - not used
'87 16v Scirocco Knock sensor unit pins
1 - not used
2 - not used
3 - BRN/BLK - ground at cylinder head
4 - not used
5 - BLK - to coil (cut&splice to BLK/R) Throttle Valve switch #2
6 - WHT/BLU - Throttle Valve switch #1 (cut & splice)
7 - BRN/WHT - distributor (neg.)
8 - BLU/BLK - throttle valve switch #3 (cut &splice to blue)
9 - Green - distributor (0)
10 - R/YEL - fuel pump relay to ground
11 - Not used
12 - GRN/WHT - Engine control module (pin 6)
13 - Knock sensor - BLK/Clear
14 - Knock sensor - Yellow
15 - R/BLK - distributor (pos)
hope that helps some....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Can somone help me please with my 16v swap before I loose my mind!! (83caddy16v)

i just did this swap. this is what i did, i took the computer from out of the inside of car and unplugged everything that goes to the computer, got rid of it. part of the wiring harness will remain, then i unplugged every plug on the scirocco and rmove the entire engine bay harness (note there will be some things going to inside if vehicle leave those there) you will also have to cut a few wires like the red w/black off coil(that is the tach signal) there will be three plugs that plug this harness in to the car a white one with three prongs the the only wires you need to power up are the red/white and i believe the red/yellow those need to go to switched ignition those wirres are to the heated part of the o2 sensor and power for the fuel injection i hope i could help you , i did my whole swap myself and it screams, i would recommend you do it this way instead of splicing in the knock box i think its faster this way.... if you have any more questions for me e-mail me at [email protected]

later,mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.