VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can the 5th Gear Cover of the Transmission be Removed with the Transmission in the Car?

My fifth gear cover is damaged, can it be R&R while the transmission is in the car, is it just held on by six bolts and one on the gearbox support?
TIA

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My fifth gear cover is damaged, can it be R&R while the transmission is in the car, is it just held on by four bolts?
TIA
Which is damaged - the green housing cap or the housing? In either case, yes you can do the repair with the transmission in situ

Broke has some great info on his site, so be sure take a peak before you tackle the job. One thing that might help you out, which I believe isn't mentioned by Broke, is that transmission will need to be slightly lowered in order to remove the 5th housing. You will need to place a jack under the box, remove the transmission bracket and starter and lower it a few inches so the housing body clears the car's chassis.

Another note: When you remove the 5th housing, carefully pull it off the transmission and make sure the shift fork rod isn't coming out with it - you'll have a bad day if it's removed :(

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which is damaged - the green housing cap or the housing? :(
The housing is damaged from the calcium during the winter, where it connects to the gearbox support.

Thank you GTI, and Mr.loops, for the quick replies.

Mr.loops, interested, will be in touch, just that there are quite a few more repairs ahead of this one. I just replaced the starter with a new one, preemptive strike, same with the oil pan. Just did the heater core Sunday also. Forgot to change the starter bushing so when I do the housing will have a chance to do that since the starter must come out, my bad. Put new foam on the blend doors though and only broke two clips. The foam was toast. Saturday was preemptive on lower ball joints tie rod ends and upper strut mount bushings(these were needed). Freed up the driver's seat so I can drive it without my knees banging my ears.

Still have the sunroof gear and possible cables, headliner, R&R windshield, poorly installed by moi, you need two tubes of urethane everyone(buy when ready to install, a short shelf life, at least Dow brand does), not one tube(went cheap) and paid for it. Did the head gasket last fall, machined the head, new distributor. Looking forward to driving it one of these days, haven't since I owned it for seven yrs.....it's a Volkswagen!

Sat. my mechanic pushed me to his garage, defective dist. rotor. Must glue on the driver's weather stripping, change the carpeting to GTI carpeting, and a list longer than your arm. Power steering return hose also. Changing the brake booster, too much paint off of the one on the car now. Preemptive on the clutch cable also last Saturday. Passenger's window apparently no longer connected to the regulator. Tried to change the coolant reservoir, but the elec. connection did not fit, from Hans, figures. Changed the upper timing belt cover, and the part it clips to, fit, from AutohausAz. Also took out the spacer on the lower timing belt cover to make it fit flush to the block so the upper cover isn't cut by the alt. belt.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Yup, it's very do-able. I did a 5th gear swap on my 90 Golf several years back, with the transmission in the car.

I'm sure it's easier with the trans OUT of the car (assuming you're already doing a clutch or some other job that requires removal anyway).

Another note: When you remove the 5th housing, carefully pull it off the transmission and make sure the shift fork rod isn't coming out with it - you'll have a bad day if it's removed :(
I second that, be very careful!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts