VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having this unusual problem with my 2000 1.8T NB. The throttle response seems to come and go intermittently and the car appears to be using more fuel than normal. I can only guess that I have a bad sensor. I havn't had any CEL's appear but I _know_ there is a problem.
I took my car into the dealership a few days ago to see if the computer was reporting any indication of a problem. They didn't have it for very long and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. I'm very skeptical that they did anything more than plug the diag. tool into my car and check for codes.
Their only solution was for me to leave my car with them for a few days which is just unexceptable in my situation. I asked the service rep. that if I had the VAG-COM software if it would help diagnose the problem and they said it would be a big help as I could record live data when the problem occurs.
I was talking to a mechanic friend of my (Chev. mechanic) and he said they have a portable tool which they loan out to customers for problems like these. He said they only do this when a customer complains long and hard enough.
My question is: Do VW dealerships have a tool like this and what do I need to do to get some service. Or should I just blow the $229US and by the VAG-COM. I'd really rather not buy the software as I don't see myself getting my money's worth out of it. I priced out the cost of getting the MAF or O2 sensor replaced and it should cost less than the VAG-COM.

·
Vendor
5,317 Posts
Re: Can the dealer help me with this or do I need to sprint for VAG-COM (spaceshaker)

VW dealers don't have any tool which can log data.
What you should be asking yourself is whether $229 spent now will save you $229 in the future, because you won't need to randomly swap parts in order to solve problems like this.
-Uwe-

1 - 2 of 2 Posts