VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Folks,
I have a VW Golf 2000 GL 2.0. The exhaust system is rattling ( The sound came from Catalytic converter). Moreover, I got check engine light - P0420 Catalyst system efficiency below threshold (bank1).
I bought a universal one - MagnaFlow 99235HM.
http://www.car-sound.com/02pro...235HM
The Mechanic told me that he can weld it for me. However, there is no guarantee that the check engine light will go away ( Or it may come back after reset). I talked to a friend who worked in BOSCH. He said there are two O2 sensors - one in the front of the converter, another is behind the converter. Therefore, mechanically and electronically, the universal converter should work. However, different car manufactures use different algorithm. It is possible that VW engine ECU would think the exhaust is not clean enough with the universal converter.
So just want to ask advice from experts here, based on your experience, can universal converter clean the code P0420?
Many thanks,
Octane99

·
Registered
761 Posts
Re: Can Univalsal Catalytic Converter clear the check engine code P0420? (octane99)

I have an '02 2.0L. I had a persistent P0420 code. I replaced my OE cat with a Magnaflow hi-flow version and replaced the rearward O2 sensor. Cleared the code one more time and have been CEL-free since. (It's a miracle, I know.)
I am certainly not an expert, but do it.
More info

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think if you go stage 2+ on your chip it should clear it. At least thats what i heard. Yet again, im no expert.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First of all, thank you all the reply.
Secondly, there is an extended warranty for the catalytic converter. Check this out:
http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/recall/vw2.htm
So I got it replaced free today. The catch is that I have another code P0440 and the dealer told me it is the purge valve. He said he can not give me the extended warranty unless there is no other code except Catalytic converter related code. Therefore, I paid $400 to replace the purge valve.
Anyway, still better than replace the catalytic converter by myself.
Thank you all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.