VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can this be done? i dont see why not...just curious though...
i am asking about H&R sport springs...if they can be cut a tiny bit to drop another 0.25" or something like that.....they will be on aftermarket shocks, so it shouldnt be a problem on the shocks....
anyone?
any problems or is it completely ok?
thanks a lot...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (Borasix)

http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

use some common sense bro!!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (PcMoney01)

it's unsafe. that's all there is to it. wanna go lower? get H&R race or some coilovers.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (Borasix)

You should be asking this question on the Suspension forum. There you'll find a number of people who will tell you why you should never cut springs.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (bluebora20v)

woah....ok....not trying to gt anyone angry....just wondering if it would be ok to do....
why is it unsafe?
if i use koni yellow's, they are adjustable and i can adjust the ride as i like...so the ride wont be bad....
still dont see why it isnt a good idea...
i mean...on stock shocks it would be bad cuz they would wear out the shocks faster due to more pressure on the shocks...but what about koni's or bilsteins?

·
Registered
393 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! My friend cut his springs on his '90 CRX and the front right spring collapsed on the highway, all the weight of his car collapsed onto his front right wheel,the front end of the car began to drag and the wheel was rubbing on the inside of the wheel well and somehow locked, he plowed his car into a lamp post and spent two weeks in the hospital, If you want it done right, Cup kit, Coilovers, Springs and struts, do it RIGHT!
Springs are engineered a certain way to distibute so much weight over a certain turn on the spring, if you change one of the turns the weight distribution changes and can cause a product failure. Its nothing personal but I try to sway people in the other direction after what had happened to my friend, BTW he is fine today, and owns a beautiful set of Koni Adjustables on his '97 Teg GSR.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

The simple answer is that if they were designed to be a certain
height, cutting them will produce a compromised spring.
Compromised springs provide unpredictable behavior ranging
from a rougher ride to catastrophic failure.
PS: Don't cross drill your own brakes either.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (DasRaven)

cutting springs is a bad idea..same thing happened to my friend in his civic..he cut the springs and they collapsed on him. lucky he was on a wide road and stopped in so grass

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (DasRaven)

I have a cordless drill you could borrow for the rotors....just be careful you do not hit the brake line when drilling.....

go for a cheap pair of coilover sleeves, much safer. Not sure where to buy them or if they are made for VWs.

·
Registered
847 Posts

Contrary to the Vortex forum norm, I'm going to assume that you have some sense*. If your only looking for .25" less ride height you may be able to do what you're saying. Just do the math first to make sure your free length isn't less than the space between your perches with the suspension at full droop. Also, you'll be increasing the spring rate propotionally so you need to make sure your shocks are up to it.
You'll have to figure out how much free length to remove to get the car at the level you want. In other words, cutting 1/4" off the free length will not necessarily = 1/4" lower ride. Calculating it won't be linear because of that spring rate thing I mentioned above.
You can test the spring rate by making a simple rig with a lever, a bathroom scale and a tape measure. It won't be "NASA" accurate but it'll be close enough.
BTW- The problem with cutting springs is that ******** start lopping off coils without knowing what the result will be..... springs fall out....chaos insues.
* don't take my "have some sense" statement personally. It's just that a lot of folks reply to questions here as if the original poster is a 5 year old..... yeah...I footnote, so sue me.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Borasix »
woah....ok....not trying to gt anyone angry....just wondering if it would be ok to do....
why is it unsafe?
if i use koni yellow's, they are adjustable and i can adjust the ride as i like...so the ride wont be bad....
still dont see why it isnt a good idea...
i mean...on stock shocks it would be bad cuz they would wear out the shocks faster due to more pressure on the shocks...but what about koni's or bilsteins?

No one is angry at you!! We just want you to be safe. I have a friend who total his car because he had his spring install incorrectly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (2003GTI_1.8T)

Quote, originally posted by 2003GTI_1.8T »

Springs are engineered a certain way to distibute so much weight over a certain turn on the spring, if you change one of the turns the weight distribution changes and can cause a product failure.

Precisly at least from a physics point of view... But then again like they say add some stickers it might balance the laws of physics.... Shell out the cash, you won't regret it.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Borasix »
.... why is it unsafe? ....

Either do a big search, or a fair amount of research. The answer is out there.
Quote »
... if i use koni yellow's, they are adjustable and i can adjust the ride as i like...

Not true. First, adjustment isn't to the "ride" of the shocks. Second, Konis have stock length pistons.
Quote »
... still dont see why it isnt a good idea...

If you really don't understand this, then you can save yourself even more money. Don't even buy short springs. Just get a hack saw and whack away at the stock springs.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (dmkozak)

just get race springs, sell the sports ones on ebay

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...

You could just take off your springs, that would be cool. I knew a girl who drove a neon with no springs and it was tight. Awesome clanking noise whenever the car rolled over anything. Seriously though, DONT DO IT. The springs are designed and then tempered at there final shape. Altering that shape and then applying the wieght of a car is just asking for disaster. I have seen tempered metal that was just bent, not even cut shatter like glass under load and I image thats what could happen to your springs. Just dont do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Re: Can you cut lowering springs??? to make them lower of course...on aft ... (ACKTung)

Quote, originally posted by ACKTung »
I have a cordless drill you could borrow for the rotors....just be careful you do not hit the brake line when drilling.....

go for a cheap pair of coilover sleeves, much safer. Not sure where to buy them or if they are made for VWs.

Dont u know if thre is something like this for the rear spring ?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts

If you only want another 1/4" you might be able to trim the rubber spring seats, who knows. But definitely don't cut the springs.

Modified by mahmgb at 6:29 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
847 Posts

So, to sum it all up:
Springs are made from magical fairy dust and aren't subject to physical law or priciples of common metallurgy. They should never be cut, touched or for that matter, even looked at for too long. Sure, race teams do it, Herb Adams did it, but some guy knows a guy whos friend cut springs on a civic and it caused the universe to implode so don't you do it.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts

I'm pretty sure nobody mentioned that you could just by lowering caps. Bonnrath makes them. They allow you to drop the car slightly more without comprimsing safety or ride quality

1 - 20 of 26 Posts