VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know that tiptronic wont let you shift down unless its safe. is it even possible to mess up your engine using tiptronic?? or is it all protected and safe guarded?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (SuchaTweed)

no

·
Registered
9,700 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SuchaTweed »
i know that tiptronic wont let you shift down unless its safe. is it even possible to mess up your engine using tiptronic?? or is it all protected and safe guarded?

Of course you will damage the engine, and void your warranty.
DO NOT USE THE TIPTRONIC....NO MATTER WHAT!

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (PDong)

Quote, originally posted by PDong »
no

·
Registered
676 Posts
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (jddaigle)

it will mess up ur tranny.... i blew a tiptronic tranny in my mkIV. then again, i rev matched to downshift....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (Wolfsburg_Turbo)

you cannot damage the tranny using tiptronic (sport shift)... it is safeguarded. so don't worry

·
Banned
7,439 Posts

I drive the hell of out my A6 in tiptronic. Downshifting fiend!

It's never had any problems.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (jxmoth)

there seems to be some different opinions. im pretty young and have never even driven a MT car, but i like playing around with the tiptronic. sounds like id have to really try to mess it up, pretty idiot proof. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Re: Can you damage engine using Tiptronic? (JetBlueMig)

you will not mess up your car using tiptronic. i remember i took a 2.5 for a test drive when i first got my license and forgot the thing was in tiptronic, it revved high but shifted itself. they make sure no matter what mode your in with an automatic transmission (no matter what mode) that the car (engine, tranny, etc.) wont break.
the short answer, as said above:
NO

·
Registered
471 Posts
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm a noob to cars, but I realize that tiptronic is created mostly for those that want the feel of manual, but don't want to go through all the hassle of learning how to drive stick. Is the tiptronic in the Jetta glx vr6 6 speed, what about the 1.8t? Also driving stick is always quicker than auto, will tiptronic be faster than auto and as fast as manual?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (Zagey)

Quote, originally posted by Zagey »
I didn't want to start a new thread, but I'm a noob to cars, but I realize that tiptronic is created mostly for those that want the feel of manual, but don't want to go through all the hassle of learning how to drive stick. Is the tiptronic in the Jetta glx vr6 6 speed, what about the 1.8t? Also driving stick is always quicker than auto, will tiptronic be faster than auto and as fast as manual?

By default, the 2002.5+ Jetta GLX VR6 comes with a five-speed tiptronic. After 2002.5, the GLX was only available in automatic. To make up for that, the 2002.5-2004 GLI was available in six-speed manual. Jetta GLX VR6 cars previous to this were available with either a straight-line five-speed auto or a five-speed manual
The 1.8T received Tiptronic early in MY2002. Otherwise, it had a five-speed manual. It wasn't until the 2004.5+ 1.8T Jetta GLI that it became available with a six-speed manual.
The first 1.8T car to get a six-speed manual was the 2002 GTI 337. Following that was the 2003 20AE GTI. After 2002.5, all manual VR6 GTIs got the six-speed manual. GTI 1.8T units that didn't fall into the above classifications got the five-speed manual.
No MkIV car got a six-speed Tiptronic transmission. All were five-speed.
Hope this helps, and I'm probably speaking Greek to many of the regulars of this forum since this isn't really MkV-related. For that, it'd probably be better for you to check the MkIV forum.

Modified by BRM10984 at 1:31 PM 7-13-2006

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

maybe I misunderstood but the only MKIV vehicles that got the 6 speed manual were the VR's, 337's, r32's,GLI's and the 20ae's the 1.8t's only had the 5 speed (manual)! None of them had the 6 speed auto! I mean Prior to 2002.5 that is.

Modified by electricme at 11:28 AM 7-13-2006

Modified by electricme at 11:29 AM 7-13-2006

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
Re: (Zagey)

Quote, originally posted by Zagey »
Also driving stick is always quicker than auto, will tiptronic be faster than auto and as fast as manual?

This sentiment was true until DSG came out. Now it it is no longer the case. Auto is faster and provides better fuel economy. This is why the new 911 Turbo is faster in auto, and why the GTI is faster with DSG, and one of the reasons why the Veyron uses DSG.
^that was pretty civil too, i get so tired of that misconception.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Re: (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
After 2002.5, all VR6 GTIs got the six-speed manual.

Fixed for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (electricme)

Quote, originally posted by electricme »
maybe I misunderstood but the only MKIV vehicles that got the 6 speed manual were the VR's, 337's, r32's,GLI's and the 20ae's the 1.8t's only had the 5 speed (manual)! None of them had the 6 speed auto!

Modified by electricme at 11:27 AM 7-13-2006

I'm pretty sure that's what I wrote, for the most part. I left out parts that I felt didn't apply to his question (read: .:R32). I had originally typed six-speed Tiptronic in a few places but caught them and changed them. Maybe I missed one of 'em. I'll go back and look.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (2ndTimesACharm)

Quote, originally posted by 2ndTimesACharm »
Fixed for you http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Heh. Thoughts flying faster than fingers.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Think of yourself as not really driving a car, but telling a really intelligent robot how you want the car driven.
Then, just keep telling yourself that the robot is 3 laws safe.
What could go wrong?

Modified by pquade at 11:39 AM 7-13-2006

1 - 20 of 27 Posts