VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Can you fix a hole in the radiator or must replace?

509 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  enigmamachinen 
#1 ·
My radiator is only 5 months old and I discovered a small leak a week ago. Dump a bunch of Barrs Leak into it, did the job but last night, leaking again, same spot and now it's flowing pretty good. Do I have to replace it again or is it possible to repair?

#2 ·
Re: Can you fix a hole in the radiator or must replace? (JBRONCFAN)

Where is it leaking from?
A few month old radiator shouldn't leak. You could try the stop-leak stuff but all it does is put off the inevitable.
I had a new radiator start leaking quickly. My Pep Boys battery started leaking and right through the plastic endcap.

#3 ·

It is possible to have an aluminum radiator repaired. It depends on where the hole is and if you can find someone with a TIG welder....
You're probably better off buying a new one...

#5 ·
Re: Can you fix a hole in the radiator or must replace? (Dieder)

I can look down the hole where the hood latches shut and it seems the leak is bottom center, front of radiator. I had to do battle with a garage over fixing my water pump a month ago, they took forever and tried to overcharge me. It was a little dink garage with a bunch of squirrly guys working their and I wouldn't put it past them to tap a little ding into my radiator that eventually would open up. Just a thought and like you guys said, 5 months old?!?!?!?!?!? Is it repairable?

#6 ·

5 months should be in the warranty for the radiator, they almost all come with at least a year on the core.
Has anyone tried soldering aluminum radiator cores like you can with steel ones? Haven't done it so not suggesting it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.