VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing a 2021 VW GTI. The 2020 model has a CD player in the glove box but the 2021 does not. The 2021 GTI's infotainment system has the MIB 3 system. The glove box now has a plastic plate covering the space where the CD player formerly resided. It's not difficult to find genuine CD players on eBay for the 2019-2020 model but I'm not sure if it can even be "plugged in" to the new MIB 3 infotainments system. Nobody in the dealerships knows the answer but I thought somebody on this site might.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
There are still unsold 2020 models around.
Could save a few grand over a 2021 one and you get yourself a factory installed Cd/DVD player...just sayin'

·
Registered
2008 Jetta Wolfsburg, 2009 CC Lux, 2017 CC R-Line
116 Posts
Just to ask the obvious question... why the yearning for a CD player?
I'm sure you realize you can convert your entire CD collection to MP3, put it all on one memory card (along with 40,000 other songs if you wanted), and plug that into the car.

·
Registered
2011 Jetta Sportwagen S 2.5L; 2021 Hyundai KONA SEL
314 Posts
Not trying to be devil's advocate, but there are some valid points to be considered.

1) It takes time to convert a CD into mp3s. It takes time to save the mp3s onto a card.
2) Some computers have a CD/DVD player. Some others don't have one - you'd have to purchase another trinket to do the conversion, which after a few short years will become as obsolete as the CDs and the CD players.
Also, imagine that are people who don't have a computer, never had one, never bought one.
3) Moreover, imagine that some people are not tech savvy and like their way of using a cd player.

I'm not saying that any of these points apply in warren's case of yearning for a cd player, but it is something to keep in the back of the mind.
For instance, why the icon for "saving" the draft while you're typing the message is the image of a FLOPPY DISK and not an SD/XD Card or an USB stick? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts