VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to get the 20th lip, but after spending a little time in Italy recently, I noticed how many silver golfs had the stock one painted silver and it looked pretty cool -- the question is: can I paint the valences that came on the car - even though they are all scratched up and already painted black? would I have to sand them or would the paint shop?
Also, where can you find the paint color code on the car so I can match it?
thanks!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Re: (FEEL)

Quote, originally posted by FEEL »
sand = nice = abit expensive
no sand = look ok = paint off easily = cheap
This isn't necessarily true. If your valences are in decent shape, they can be painted without sanding them smooth, and they look really good. Make sure the paint shop uses lots of flex agent in the paint, and they won't peel. I've had mine done for two years, and they've gone through two Canadian winters with absolutely NO chipping or peeling at all.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
Re: (dubboy1)

Quote, originally posted by dubboy1 »
This isn't necessarily true. If your valences are in decent shape, they can be painted without sanding them smooth, and they look really good. Make sure the paint shop uses lots of flex agent in the paint, and they won't peel. I've had mine done for two years, and they've gone through two Canadian winters with absolutely NO chipping or peeling at all.

yes but if your gonna pay to have it painted why skimp out and not sand it yourself? Buy a few grits, and sand them smooth.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (samc)

Excuse my ignorance - but what do you use to sand them? - how coarse (?) of paper do you use? I assume the stock valences are black plastic - so how far do you sand?
Also - If my car is 2001, which silver do I have?
Thanks for all the replies!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts