VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'Cuz I can't. I was told by the service dept. at Tracy VW that the remote fob antenna had already been relocated before we bought it because our T-reg is a relatively low VIN# and there apparently is some sort of directove from VW for this. I was also told that I have to hold the button on the fob for three seconds before the hatch or glass will release. This was when I picked up the car today from Tracy, where it was in for warranty service (they replaced a faulty TPM module and ordered a new radio/cd player for me). I was in a hurry to get to an appointment, so I didn't have time to check the three-second thing before I left the delaership. I did try it later this afternoon, and got no result while standing at the back of the car. I wouldn't care so much, except that this is generally where I'm standing when I want to open the hatch, and it never seems to work.
Also, they couldn't find any reason for the compass light flickering between night and day setting at random.
Can anyone else open their hatch while standing in the back of their car?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (jmj)

You can hold the unlock button until the battery runs out but it probably wont unlock the rear hatch unless you move towards the sides of the vehicle or use the chin trick. This topic has been covered extensively. Try a search using keyfob AND range as your search criteria.
Meat

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (meatster)

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

BTW, what's the "chin trick"?

·
Registered
856 Posts

If you press the unlock button while holding the keyfob under you chin, it will unlock it.
Meat

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jmj »

Can anyone else open their hatch while standing in the back of their car?

When the moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (meatster)

why not configure (through the MFI) the remote the open button to open all the doors including the hatch ?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (iland)

Quote, originally posted by iland »
why not configure (through the MFI) the remote the open button to open all the doors including the hatch ?

Because you should be able to unlock the rear hatch of a 40k SUV when you are standing right behind it no matter what your MFI comfort settings are set to....
Meat

·
Registered
2,779 Posts

Meatster is right on! But a little other trick I use is, first unlock all doors with the double click - then go for the hatch door button, whicle standing a little to the Drivers side on the left...it always opens that way. Also, if the key is out and then placed under your chinyy chin chin it gives a better antenna effect.
We will all look like idiots in parking lots, until VWOA gives a permanent fix!
Cy

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (cybulman)

i was at my dealer today getting the rubber trunk mat.
i was holding the mat under my arm and trying to unlock the truck while i was directly behind my car.
nothing happened.... i got sssooo frustrated that i kicked my bumper. (sorry baby)
i wish there were dealers near by to see how frustrated the remote makes me.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts

Yes, I can unlock my rear hatch while standing behind it but it takes a few seconds before the tail lights flash indicating it's unlocked. I hold the key fob up in the air a bit at around the middle of the rear window.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (TCinOC)

Quote, originally posted by TCinOC »
I hold the key fob up in the air a bit at around the middle of the rear window.

yeah i hate doing that in the middle of the parking lot at the mall.
ppl think i'm crazy or something.
the keyfob on chin thing is even stupid-er looking.
and again. I'M NOT PSYCHO.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

I can walk up to the back of mine and touch the rubber pad latch with my hand(if the keys are in my pocket) and it opens just like the doors do - I have the Convenience Package. I also set the MFI to open doors and hatch so when I use the fob it also unlocks the rear hatch.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote, originally posted by meatster »

Because you should be able to unlock the rear hatch of a 40k SUV when you are standing right behind it no matter what your MFI comfort settings are set to....
Meat

Or even a 35K SUV.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (cybulman)

Quote, originally posted by cybulman »
We will all look like idiots in parking lots, until VWOA gives a permanent fix!

There are several permanent options available.
They are made by Lexus, BMW, MB, Ford, Dodge, Jeep, GMC, Chevrolet, Lincoln, Cadillac, Kia, Subaru...

Actually, I have to admit I saw somebody opening their silver Touareg at the mall 2 days ago with the remote by the chin as they walked up to the hatch with a Dillard's bag in their left hand... I couldn't help but to chuckle, because I knew what he was doing, but I doubt everybody else did.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

Using your chin makes your body an antennae,which is actually the cause of the problem! there is a new technical bulletin out from Vw which describes extending the antennae for the module about three feet.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Do you have the convience package? If so you should be able to walk right up to the hatch and pull the hatch open. It will sense that you have the key and unlock for you. At least that is how mine works

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (hotdaymnitzbao)

Quote, originally posted by hotdaymnitzbao »
nothing happened.... i got sssooo frustrated that i kicked my bumper. (sorry baby)

That's just mean.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Can you unlock your rear hatch while standing behind your Toaureg? (RvDUB)

Quote, originally posted by RvDUB »
Do you have the convience package? If so you should be able to walk right up to the hatch and pull the hatch open. It will sense that you have the key and unlock for you. At least that is how mine works

No convenience package.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have the same problem with the flickering of the light in the compass. Did you find out what the problem is?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts