VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna buy a car in Canada and bring it back to the states...does anybody know how hard this would be and how the taxes would work? Thanks guys....

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Re: Canada -----> US car purchase ? (Pedmaster)

might as well just buy a ferrari in which ever country you intend on living
from what I've heard it can be extermly costly and time consuming to do.
someone on here has done it before I beleive, and I recall them saying that they called ahead and told them the date and aprox time they'd be crossing, so they had all the paper work filled out ahead of time and knew exactly what they had to pay to take it over. I think if the car is built in NA then the taxes aren''t that much. I could however be way off

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Canada -----> US car purchase ? (Strupo)

New car or used car? New might have warranty issues. Used is easier to do.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Re: Canada -----> US car purchase ? (Pedmaster)

I understand that it is quite simple with a used car. Make sure you have a bill of sale.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Re: Canada -----> US car purchase ? (Timbuck1)

In Canada if you buy a car from one province and live in another you get an in transit permit that allows you to travel (licence) and gets you out of paying any provincial tax in the province where you bought the car.
I would suggest you look for a website for the US government dealing with Customs and Excise taxes to find out what they will require for you to bring the car across the border.
Depending on the age of the car there may also be things you might have to change - such as kms to miles for your speedo etc. You might have to have those things arranged for before you bring the car across so that you have papers saying it's going to be done.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts