VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a price from a Toronto VW dealer on a 2004 Passat Wagon TDI - $32920 for a GLS with a Tiptronic and no packages.
It's only $500 more than a GLS 1.8T with a Tiptronic.
The dealers take delivery in July 2004 of these beauties!!!
Suhwheat buckwheat!!!

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Re: Canadian Passat Wagon TDI pricing (voidmain)

That's not too bad!!
Did you test drive one? Post some impressions http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Which dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Canadian Passat Wagon TDI pricing (KARMANN_16V)

Test drive? I wish. They don't arrive at the dealers until July 2004. I was talking with Agincourt Autohaus in Scarborough.
I think the price is awesome since in the Golf lineup, a GLS TDI is $1100 more than a regular GLS. (both have a manual transmission)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

The dealer showed me the order guide, and the engine code is 2.0 TDI TBD HP. The TBD HP means that they do not have a rated hp for the engine yet.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts

I don't get why they won't bring over the manual version of the TDi. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Canadian Passat Wagon TDI pricing (1Point8TDan)

There's a good reason. Have you driven a TDI engine? Diesel's don't run like a gas engine. You don't rev them to get more power, which is what the avg driver will do. The automatic has been programmed to the power curve of the diesel, and it knows when to shift for both fuel economy and power when needed.
Case in point: I have raced both the TDI Golf and gas 2.0 Golf. The TDI Golf had an automatic trans and beat the auto trans 2.0 Golf despite the obvious hp difference.
The auto is the way to go.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts

Quote, originally posted by voidmain »
Case in point: I have raced both the TDI Golf and gas 2.0 Golf. The TDI Golf had an automatic trans and beat the auto trans 2.0 Golf despite the obvious hp difference.
The auto is the way to go.

T O R Q U E, that's why the 2.0 will loose everytime

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Agreed. And that's why a manual transmission is pointless with a diesel.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,482 Posts

Quote, originally posted by voidmain »
Agreed. And that's why a manual transmission is pointless with a diesel.

Except that fuel consumption is worse with an auto.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Canadian Passat Wagon TDI pricing (Hajduk)

When you're talking diesel, it's far too marginal to even throw into the equation. At least, that is what my real world performance has shown.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts

I raced against a MK4 Jetta TDI with my 2.0 Golf and easily beat it. Maybe the Jetta was an auto while I drive manual, but I doubt if the Jetta was a manual it would be able to keep up with me. We did two runs, and each time I came out ahead. And rarely do I rev past 3000 rpm...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts