VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1994 Cavalier there to get an Etest and safety done. It has 34,898 km on it. (Yes, 34,898km). It had been certified in April, it needed a lightbulb and nothing more, but I let that ticket expire. The car has not moved 20 feet since I parked it, so in theory, nothing should have changed.
Today I decided to get the car plated, so I went to the local CT outlet here in Ajax, and the Etest was a no brainer, it passes with flying colours.
Since they couldn't find anything to soak me on there,I guess they had to make up ground elsewhere. In my line of work, (used car manager) I've had to recondition HUNDREDS of cars, by countless different technicians, in various dealerships, and the cars have ranged from excellent condition to poor condition. Not once have I had to replace a belt tensioner and drive belt as a requirement. An optional repair, yes, but NEVER a mandatory one.
I almost laughed in the guys face when he told me because I thought he was kidding. These people wanted to charge me over $350 dollars to do it. I politely declined.
Needless to say, I should have known better than to let them look at my car. I am more than familiar with the MTO regulations, so shame on me. I'm going to have this car reinspected elsewhere, and once I get a clean bill of health on it, I'll consider opening a case against this location.
Bottom line: Avoid them. They are just out to make a fast buck ,and if I didn't know any better, I would have been ripped off. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by King at 12:28 PM 11-2-2007

Modified by King at 12:29 PM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (King)

Sadly repair places trying to rip of customers is more then norm then otherwise
If it happened to a regular guy who knew nothing about the car, he would of just paid, its that easy for these places to rip people off.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Thanks for warning us about that place... I have a similar story about the one in Burlington on Fairview Street near Guelph Line. In about 2004 I took my company truck in for service and left it for the afternoon. I came back and they had done an oil change and tune up as i had asked them to, but they also did the rear brakes and a ball-joint or tie rod end, and a 4 wheel alignment etc. They had already made a carbon copy of the fleet card that paid for the repairs and handed me my keys and told me I was ready to go. I took off thinking I had been ripped off for almost 800 bucks worth of repairs.
2 weeks later I am in for my next oil change (I drove at least 2000 km a week) at an independent shop in Oakville and the mechanic working on my truck noticed the serp belt was seriousely worn and the tensioner seemed to be going (common issue on a ford).
The mechanic called to get authorization from the leasing company and they told him that both parts were changed 2 weeks earlier when the truck was in for service...At this point I grabbed the receiver and informed the leasing manager that this wasn't the case at all. Apparently CTC also replaced the starter motor because I brought the truck in for a no start as well...

I have had a few good experiences at some smaller CTC stores but I would be very very careful about letting them do a lot of work on your vehicle, chances are it won't be done right and it may not be necessary.

·
Registered
9,305 Posts

maybe you should talk to andyztoy. Last time I checked, he worked there.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (asylum)

Quote, originally posted by asylum »
maybe you should talk to andyztoy. Last time I checked, he worked there.

lol this thread makes me

X2 should have talked to me first
the place is honestly not as bad as you make it out to be

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (andyztoy)

Quote, originally posted by andyztoy »

the place is honestly not as bad as you make it out to be

All I want is the safety I paid for and am entitled to. A car can pass without having an engine in it. Why the hell would I let them bone me for almost $400 more dollars?

·
Premium Member
18,140 Posts

Mr. King I am sure you must know someone who is willing to take your good word, and pass said car sight unseen.
If you don't, I do.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

Quote, originally posted by King »

All I want is the safety I paid for and am entitled to. A car can pass without having an engine in it. Why the hell would I let them bone me for almost $400 more dollars?

They are your judge and your jury my man.
You bring it to them, and you are giving them the ability to decline your safety based on whatever they see fit, or unfit in this case.
Not to say you are wrong, or they are. But sadly, that's how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (wikdslo)

Quote, originally posted by wikdslo »

They are your judge and your jury my man.
You bring it to them, and you are giving them the ability to decline your safety based on whatever they see fit, or unfit in this case.
Not to say you are wrong, or they are. But sadly, that's how it goes.

According to the MTO site, If I disagree with the decision, I can have it inspected elsewhere and then dispute it. Hopefully I won't have to.

Modified by King at 9:25 PM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
2,526 Posts

Quote, originally posted by wikdslo »

This is not true, as King stated, the safety inspection is made up from the items on the "checklist", anything outside that list is not a Safety item, it's pretty black and white.
I was unsure when I first read this thread earlier this afternoon, but now that I see they were trying to call the belt/tensioner a Safety issue I don't disagree with King's objections.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The VW dealer in Richmond hill don't go there too... they want me to pay $100 to inspect strut bearing noise but my car still under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (Das Hase)

Quote, originally posted by Das Hase »

This is not true, as King stated, the safety inspection is made up from the items on the "checklist", anything outside that list is not a Safety item, it's pretty black and white.
I was unsure when I first read this thread earlier this afternoon, but now that I see they were trying to call the belt/tensioner a Safety issue I don't disagree with King's objections.

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Like I said earlier, in my job I've been in charge of reconditioning literally hundreds of cars, so I know full well the difference between "mandatory" and "suggested" on a safety certificate. If it's mandatory, I'd never expect a licensed technician to let it slide unless he sees fit to do so. Trying to stick me with extra work to receive something I paid for and rightfully deserve just isn't cool.
andyztoy has sent me an IM, so I'm hoping he can help clear this issue up.

Modified by King at 9:25 PM 11-2-2007

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

Quote, originally posted by King »

http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Like I said earlier, in my job I've been in charge of reconditioning literally hundreds of cars, so I know full well the difference between "mandatory" and "suggested" on a safety certificate. If it's mandatory, I'd never expect a licensed technician to let it slide unless he sees fit to do so. Trying to stick me with extra work to receive something I paid for and rightfully deserve just isn't cool.

Good call. I didn't know that's how it worked. I always thought the checklist was the mandatory, but everything else was still obligatory for the mechanic to have fixed if they found it to be unsafe.
Hope you get this settled peacefully.

·
Banned
2,620 Posts
NEG THIS PLACE SUCKS.....never even balanced my tires properly when i had them mounted on my snowflakes....fools
i bet it was you andy too, nah jokes the dudes who work there are pretty good

·
Registered
6,718 Posts

I am not interested in getting in a debate about this but ....
One thing you have to understand about c.t. is that they do things by the book....
its the type of place to take your car to get safetied before buying it they you know you got a 100% safetied car
i have the book here in front of me and...
Engine controls and steering
section 3.3 A says
the power steering drive belt shall not be missing, cut , frayed or excessively worn, and shall have correct tension
from what i was told your tensioner was seized
so every shop has a different level of discretion lots of shops would have let that slide but here i guess not

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Re: (futur)

The problem with CTC is they are mostly franchises. Meaning they are only as good as the owner/service manager wants them to be. You will find a different level of service at each and every one. Most of them are crappy, some of them have crappy advisers with a few good techs. Bottom line is, they are all there to make as much money as possible. Yes, I've worked at one when I was younger. Once I was even told to "make something up, just something you can bill them for." Nice.
http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to most CTC stores. Driver beware.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Canadian Tire, Salem and Kingston Road......Safety cert? NOT!!!! (andyztoy)

Nitpicking. Plain and simple. I'd wager that 10 out of 10 qualified and FAIR technicians would not bother failing this car.
Call it for what it is: a flat out cash grab. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Modified by King at 1:22 PM 11-3-2007

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.