VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Team 96 Racing here, we are on the week long 1 Lap of America nationwide race tour (google it) and our Audi TTS 2.0 TFSI had a DSG failure on the N217 solenoid control valve today at the Eagles Canyon Raceway.

We are on our way from Dallas towards the next race in New Orleans tomorrow Tuesday morning, then onto Atlanta Motrsport Park Wednesday.

Can anyone help point us to fellow VW/Audi fans in the Dallas -> New Orleans -> Atlanta corridor that will support a race team so they can continue the race tour?

We need a VW / Audi DSG DQ250 (02E) transmission or Mechatronic parts from one that is sitting on the parts shelf.

The goal is to finish on Saturday at Tire Rack HQ in Southbend IN...... but without some Mechatronic parts we are f'ed.

Two cheers for the VW Vortex crew that will help a fellow racer,

Cheers,
J -> T96 Racing at gmail

·
Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room.
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,415 Posts
I live near AMP but am not privy to any VW/Audi people in this area. If I think of anything or anyone, I'll post up.

·
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,415 Posts
OP, I completely forgot about a local shop that is fairly knowledgeable with what you are looking for.

Brian @ Eurotech
http://www.eurotechatlanta.com/

Tell him Andy Loscavio sent you.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
I don't think I have any 02E stuff left but I'll check in the basement just in case. A couple tips:
  • If they've already split the case the donor transmission wouldn't need to be local, the whole mechatronics would fit in a shipping box and could be overnighted.
  • I'm not 100%, but I suspect you might be able to use mechatronics parts from a FWD 02E, which would open up a lot of junkyard options.
  • Getting the DSG out is a tight fit on PQ35 stuff. I assume you're in a hurry; ironically it's probably easier to bite the bullet and drop the subframe than it would be to maneuver and wrestle it out with the subframe on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestion.
We drove through the night and just passed through Birmingham, AL on our way to multiple Pull Apart locations in Atlanta area that seems to have compatible Audi/VW's cars in stock.

Join the Texas track/hpde group on Facebook, surely there's someone around here. Might try hitting up digisport performance in Denton, which is near ECR.

·
Premium Member
18,851 Posts
Good luck!! I hope you get everything together and are able to finish (well)!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info Ghost03,
another VW/Audi performance shop source we spoke to also mentions the 02E Mechatronic assembly is the same in FWD/Quattro models which is why we have 10+ vehicle candidats at Atlanta pull a part locations.

As we only need to pull the Mechatronic assembly we are hoping to only remove the black front cover instead of pulling the entire transmission out of the car .

Cheers,
J

I don't think I have any 02E stuff left but I'll check in the basement just in case. A couple tips:
  • If they've already split the case the donor transmission wouldn't need to be local, the whole mechatronics would fit in a shipping box and could be overnighted.
  • I'm not 100%, but I suspect you might be able to use mechatronics parts from a FWD 02E, which would open up a lot of junkyard options.
  • Getting the DSG out is a tight fit on PQ35 stuff. I assume you're in a hurry; ironically it's probably easier to bite the bullet and drop the subframe than it would be to maneuver and wrestle it out with the subframe on.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
Thanks for the info Ghost03,
another VW/Audi performance shop source we spoke to also mentions the 02E Mechatronic assembly is the same in FWD/Quattro models which is why we have 10+ vehicle candidats at Atlanta pull a part locations.

As we only need to pull the Mechatronic assembly we are hoping to only remove the black front cover instead of pulling the entire transmission out of the car .
No problem, and yeah, if you just want to replace the mechatronic as opposed to the whole unit taking the cover off is definitely a better plan. (y)

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 vert, E36 coupé
1,695 Posts
Once it’s all fixed and back in the running, and now that you’re here...

please post pics of the car and on-track action! One-Lap is a hugely aspirational effort and I know many people on TCL would love to see what you’re doing.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and support.

In racing there is no room for idle/down time, and we did solve the problem and was able to re-join the race today at Atlanta Motorsport Park and Lanier Raceplex.

Monday evening we ended up driving 16 hours non-stop from Fort Worth, TX to Atlanta (monitoring DSG temps the whole way),
Tuesday mid day we picked up a complete DSG DQ250 Mechatronics unit from a VW CC car at a Pull-a-Part location and had everything we needed installed in our race car DSG box by 5am this morning.

Slept 2 hours and went racing at the Atlanta Motorsport Park and Lanier Raceplex today. We are now driving 8+ hours to arrive by imdnight at in North Virginia for the race event at Summit Point tomorrow,

You can follow out story on our FB page - search for "Team 96 Racing" ad you will find day by day log and photos.

J

·
Atlanta, GA ~ Honda
37,415 Posts
Slept 2 hours and went racing at the Atlanta Motorsport Park and Lanier Raeway venues today.
What was going on at Lanier Speedway? There's a TrackNight event at Road Atlanta across the street, but I didn't see anything at Lanier. Just curious.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We were only at Lanier for 2 hours in the afternoon, then moved on to a check point in SC, then onto the Summit Point race track north of Winchester in Virginia. Aside from the daily race track competitions we move 600-700 miles each day to the next stop.

What was going on at Lanier Speedway? There's a TrackNight event at Road Atlanta across the street, but I didn't see anything at Lanier. Just curious.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts