VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to make a decision on whether to pick up a 2016 or 2017 VW Golf Highline with both option packages. The 2017 seem to have less features than the 2016. For example, a 6.5" screen on the 2017 whereas the 2016 has an 8.0" screen.

If I pick up a 2016, the car will nearly be a year old and I don't know how many Km's it has on it. The 2017 will be coming in directly from the factory so I know it wouldn't have been used for a test drive.

Which way would you all go?

For our American friends, the Highline model is the equivalent of your SEL mode I believe.

Thanks.
:confused:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Allow me to throw out another option in the mix. I recently looked at a 2016 golf highline and despite the low interest rates and year end incentives it was still fairly pricey. I was not willing to compromize on leather, fender, sight/sound. I've been driving a 2.5 golf for a while and after a test drive was not as impressed as I expected to be with the 1.8L manual. I just didnt love it especially given the price. A friend of mind suggested I consider a used GTI. Long story short I picked up a 2015 GTI certified pre owned for essentially the same price (with cost of borrowing at 2.9%) and with the balance of warranty and I am loving my decision. Yes it has 30,000 kms but the car looks new. It drives like a go kart and I cant help but think 'weeeeee' when I accelerate through a turn. Yes you sacrifice apple car play and driver assistance features on the 2015 but I have those in my other car and version 1 of these has not overly impressed me so far. If your really fussed about kms then buy the 17 golf but if you're open to getting way more car for the money think about a 2015 GTI with low kms.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Allow me to throw out another option in the mix. I recently looked at a 2016 golf highline and despite the low interest rates and year end incentives it was still fairly pricey. I was not willing to compromize on leather, fender, sight/sound. I've been driving a 2.5 golf for a while and after a test drive was not as impressed as I expected to be with the 1.8L manual. I just didnt love it especially given the price. A friend of mind suggested I consider a used GTI. Long story short I picked up a 2015 GTI certified pre owned for essentially the same price (with cost of borrowing at 2.9%) and with the balance of warranty and I am loving my decision. Yes it has 30,000 kms but the car looks new. It drives like a go kart and I cant help but think 'weeeeee' when I accelerate through a turn. Yes you sacrifice apple car play and driver assistance features on the 2015 but I have those in my other car and version 1 of these has not overly impressed me so far. If your really fussed about kms then buy the 17 golf but if you're open to getting way more car for the money think about a 2015 GTI with low kms.
Anyway to get Apple car play on the 15s? That's the only reason why I'm leaning towards the 16. Is the 15 worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
971 Posts
Anyway to get Apple car play on the 15s? That's the only reason why I'm leaning towards the 16. Is the 15 worth it?

If the availability of Carplay / Android Auto is important to you (and you NEED to know if it is important to you since you can't just swap in an aftermarket headunit easily like in the old days), then don't bother looking at the 2015. For me, it was very important, and that is why I am driving a VW right now instead of a Mazda because they had it available when I was ready to buy. If it isn't a concern to you, then a 2015 could be a good choice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input. Not sure why I'm not getting email notifications on the responses even though I had that option checked off.

·
Banned
21,195 Posts
op if you are not in too much of a rush, and are looking to buy new maybe wait for the facelift. New headlights, new tails etc. and all new tech inside.

I'm sure once it's revealed VW will let us know if it's coming to the NA market which I can't see why it wouldn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the new head unit is a deal breaker dont even consider the 15. I have a 16 sportwagon with the 8 inch unit and its much better. However on my daily commute I found myself using waze from my phone screen and not even connected to my car since when running waze /radio at the same time whenever waze instructions kicked in it would drop my radio entirely. Small issues for an otherwise good system but given some of those glitches I was ok getting a 15 gti if it meant getting it for a lower price then the 16 golf. I just plug in usb through the power outlet and stream over bluetooth.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm weary about buying a first year new design. Got burned on the MKIV. I saw the new design and I think I prefer the MKVII design.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I'm weary about buying a first year new design. Got burned on the MKIV. I saw the new design and I think I prefer the MKVII design.
Facelift is not a new design. Facelifts are generally good as they fix small issues too sometimes.

MK8 may be all new design but I still think they will stay on MQB platform. We are probably looking at 2020 for that.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whoa...when you're all talking about the facelift I thought you meant the MK8. When is this facelift due out? If not too long, maybe it's worth waiting just to take a look.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Whoa...when you're all talking about the facelift I thought you meant the MK8. When is this facelift due out? If not too long, maybe it's worth waiting just to take a look.
2017 MY cars just came out, so nothing should change until next fall for the 2018 MY...but that is only IF they make any changes of note.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If the availability of Carplay / Android Auto is important to you (and you NEED to know if it is important to you since you can't just swap in an aftermarket headunit easily like in the old days), then don't bother looking at the 2015. For me, it was very important, and that is why I am driving a VW right now instead of a Mazda because they had it available when I was ready to buy. If it isn't a concern to you, then a 2015 could be a good choice.
I guess it doesn't really matter to have it but it would be nice. Thank you for your input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts