VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Mk5 GTI
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey vwvortex, i just picked up a 98 mk3 vr6 jetta and out of the blue i can no longer put the shifter into any gear while it is running.

This is my first stick so pardon me if I'm asking a really dumb question.

It moves through the gears fine while off but when running i cannot put it into any gear, it seems like i would have to ram it into the gear spot and obviously that's not right haha.

Would this be the shifter linkage being out of adjustment? I really don't have anything to go on because i don't know **** about manuals. It was driving and shifting fine yesterday, started it up today and now this :confused:

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 Mk5 GTI
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So i went out again and tried to see if anything caught my attention with the vdub, i noticed now that it seems it wont even go into some gears while off too.

Linkage? Stuck clutch? Help me out vwvortex, you guys always pull through for me!

·
Registered
2009 Mk5 GTI
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem is it wont even move into the gear selection, this isn't driver error. I guess i should rephrase it to this : The shifter will not move into a gear selection when the engine is on, it was moving into the gear selection when off, and now it is going only into 1st 4th and 5th and reverse while it is off.

Also i managed to get it into reverse with the engine on but it ground as it went in.

I didnt start the car in first gear or anything as i assumed it would either grind, or nothing good would happen haha.

Sorry if i wasn't too clear in my first post and thanks :)

·
Registered
2009 Mk5 GTI
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the cable braket bolts and make sure the cables are adjusted properly. While you doin that check the master and slave cylinder for leaks.
Will do, thank you for some idea of what to do in this situation, any good posts on how to adjust the cables? im going to search now but incase there is a good one for the mk3's

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Also i managed to get it into reverse with the engine on but it ground as it went in.
Your clutch is not disengaging.... when you depress and hold the pedal, the clutch should disengage the trans from the engine, and it is not.

When you press the pedal in YOUR car, the input shaft of the trans is continuing to be spun by the engine crank... and this is why reverse grinds, and why you can't select a forward gear easily.

With the engine off, the input shaft doesn't spin, and the gears select easily.

You have a clutch related problem. It is a hydraulic clutch, so it is either leaking and not operating the slave cylinder in the bellhousing or something has failed at the clutch parts themselves, but you have a clutch issue.

I don't know the 02A or the hydraulic clutch systems very well at all so I can't offer any advice to fixing it, but I can tell you, without question, that you have a clutch disengagement problem.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2009 Mk5 GTI
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, i had it towed and checked out and you were right. It ended up being the slave cylinder is going bad so that's now on the list to replace, also found out 1 motor mount was busted and another is pretty beat up so this should be interesting....

I smell a "look what i bought and didnt realize i bought and look at all this stuff i fixed and now its smooth as butter and doesnt look horrible anymore" thread coming up soon.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Thanks guys, i had it towed and checked out and you were right. It ended up being the slave cylinder is going bad so that's now on the list to replace, also found out 1 motor mount was busted and another is pretty beat up so this should be interesting....

I smell a "look what i bought and didnt realize i bought and look at all this stuff i fixed and now its smooth as butter and doesnt look horrible anymore" thread coming up soon.
Motor mounts = BFI
Slave cylinder = GAP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.