VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, got the Euros in w/ the relays and all. Now, for the city lights, all I did was tap the old parking lights. Is that right?? I would assume it would be, but my low beams come on now when only the city lights should (parking light position). Any help???

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (G60ING)

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (G60247)

Anyone else have problems w/ this?? Or at leats know about it.
All ground wires are run to the battery. Low beam trigger on original yellow headlight wire, High on original white wire. Power is straight from the battery.
For the city lights all I did was put a vampire tap on the black wire of the parking lights. So it should work

·
Registered
2019 Arteon R-Line +APR
2,109 Posts

Mine have always done this. My solution... if you just want the city lights on is switch to first position, shut-off and switch back to first position quickly.
This works for me... the lights come on on the initial switch... then when I shut them off and back on quickly, only the cities come on. See if that works for you.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (alphazero)

*cut and paste from other thread*
I can hear my relay click on and off with just the parking lights, but the low beams do not come on. What kind of relays did you use? Type and rating? Make sure they are 30amp. If its less, that may be why its triggering your low beams. Was it one of you that emailed me this weekend? I was out of town and only had read access to my email and forgot to reply last night when I got home.. Sorry 'bout that!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (kkozma)

Yeah, I used the 12v, 30A relays. It wasn't me that e-mailed you though, it may have been Eric, I think he is having the same problem.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts

Hmmmm.. Maybe its time for a new headlight switch? Is there anyone who lives near you that you could swap with?

·
Registered
76 Posts

I just got the answer for this problem last week, but have yet to do the fix.
On my VR6 (your g60 may be different), there is a white and black wire that goes into the headlight switch, which you have to move to position "NSL" (as noted on the back of the switch).
VW has a special tool which allows easy removal of this wire from the connector. I've tried with a flat screwdriver, but to no avail, and I certainly don't want to damage the connector. So, as I will be doing later this week, take it to your local VW dealer, and ask them to kindly -- i.e., without charge -- switch this wire out for you. Should take all of 30 seconds.

[Modified by Alopera, 2:03 PM 11-5-2001]

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (Alopera)

That's wha tI like to hear...solutions. I'm gonna have to check this out when I go home again. Maybe Eric can try it first and let me know.

·
Registered
90 Corrado, 97 B4 TDI, '10 CC 4 MO
4,371 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]That's wha tI like to hear...solutions. I'm gonna have to check this out when I go home again. Maybe Eric can try it first and let me know.[HR][/HR]​
I'm on it!
May take me a couple of days to find the time though. Maybe tomorrow at work, but that will take time away from the Vortex

Oh my... what should I do..............

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (90 GT-G60)

I've got the same problem. Rocking the switch very quickly will get just the city lights on, but I'm also looking for a "real" solution.
Joe
P.S. I sent the e-mail last week. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
14,861 Posts

He doesn't need a new headlight switch...mine did this as well and I moved the wire. Good luck trying to get the dealer to do it for free. I was able to get mine done for free (took less than 10 seconds of actual "work") because my friend worked at the dealership. However, the guy was bitching (not jokingly) for the next 2-3 days to my friend because he should have charged me. What a crock of sh!t.

[Modified by jerk, 5:59 PM 11-5-2001]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (jerk)

quote:[HR][/HR]...Good luck trying to get the dealer to do it for free. I was able to get mine done for free (took less than 10 seconds of actual "work") because my friend worked at the dealership. However, the guy was bitching (not jokingly) for the next 2-3 days to my friend because he should have charged me. What a crock of sh!t.

[Modified by jerk, 5:59 PM 11-5-2001][HR][/HR]​
Well, my thought is that a little bit of diplomacy goes a long way... If any of the service managers try to give me any lip, my response will be "do you know how much ??? I've spent in the past few years here?" My experience is that the mechanics are very cool; the service manager geeks (wearing cheap ties) are both uninformed and patronizing. Try to avoid them and talk directly to someone in the garage...

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (Alopera)

Upon further review...
On my car, I have found that if the high beam switch is left on and you then turn the lights to the parking light positon. Only the citly lights come on. As soon as you deactivate the high beam switch, the low beams come on. So this gives creadance to Alopera's solution, by switching the wire on the back of the switch. I will attempt this soon and report back.
Still waiting to drive my car at night with the new euro's. Dusk ain't dark enough...

BTW Let me add something into the mix, although I have been driving a Corrado for the last 10 + years, I can't remember if when you turn on the high beams. Are the driving lights supposed to turn off? My current C, they do not, but for some reason, I think my first C did. Anyone?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (90 GT-G60)

My driving lights do not go off when the high beams are on. But, I have the Euro lights. My C is a '92 SLC.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Re: Can't get City Lights to work (t5joe)

I hope to attempt the "switching of the wire" trick tomorrow. While I am waiting for Comcast to hook up my @home service! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I hope to let everyone know tomorow from my driveway or from inside my Corrado, while I play with my wirless lan connection!
How fast can your Corrado, download? huh?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts